Friday, May 11, 2012

Doctor Visit / Chemo ...

Yesterday was Terry's doctor visit, so we learned the results of the bone marrow biopsy ... finally.  It was one of those times when the doctors had to meet and meet and meet to make decisions on what to do.   No decision was really made though....    okay, I shouldn't say that ... the decision was made to continue as we are, and then make a new decision whenever the need arises.  Like we weren't already going to do that!  Can you tell I'm kinda frustrated or disappointed or ??? ...  whatever this feeling is ... my bad!  I just keep hoping for some concrete answers....  You'd think I'd know by know that it's not gonna happen!

The Flow Cytometry (marrow) test did show good news -  It is down from 50% last February - to 5.5% now - that is better!  That was good news, but I guess there was enough other news that I'm not focusing too well on that.  I gotta get feeling more positive around here!

At the departure clinic after the one year check last year, we were told that Terry could have another type of cancer (a myeloid cancer), but it wasn't enough to really count or read to prove that it was there.  Now it is enough to count or positively detect it.  He does have Myelodysplastic Syndrome (MDS).  Oh Great! Well ..., it is treatable!  I wonder - could it be a reason for the blood counts to be so off? (who really knows?)  I don't recall a number or percentage for that, but I do know that it isn't a large percentage.  And we don't know how fast it grows.   It took a year for it to be positively detected.

At this point we continue what we are doing and life goes on ....
I want to say "Sorry, but that is just the way it is!"  Actually, I want to say DUH!  I mean really, isn't that exactly what we are doing?!?!?!    (not so positive huh!?!?!?)
I think one of the hardest things is not being able to understand all things.  I wish I was intelligent and wise.  Wisdom has got to be one of the greatest gifts from God - of course I don't know that from experience, just desire.

Chimerisms report -
CD3 cells = 83% donor (these are the T helper lymphocytes)
CD33 cells = 0% donor (these are the myeloid or neutrophils)

Oh, this reminds me that they are sure that the MDS is not because of the stem cell transplant or from donor blood, because it is in Terry's cells - the 0% donor cells.  I guess Terry was blessed with bad blood for his time on earth.  Bummer!  However, we are pleased and do feel blessed that he still has time on earth, so we'll take what we can get!!!!  And, we are happy to have it!  See, I can be positive!

Okay, now the blood counts:
WBC = 2.9(L) normal is 4.5-11.0
RBC = 3.78(L) normal is 4.50-5.90
Platelet Count = 59(L) normal is 150-400
Abs Neutrophils = .8(L) normal is 1.8-7.8
ALT = 64(H) high, but only by one - normal is 17-63  :) I love that number!
AST = 60(H) normal is 15-41

Well - I think that's it!

There has been so much happen since that appointment yesterday that I'm forgetting already.  I have finally completed this task ... along with several other tasks.

After chemo yesterday we went to my sisters to see her family and my parents, went to Costco to pick up some things, drove to ML for a meeting (a very good one at that) and then to Walmart for a few more items.  We got home late and up early.
I started writing this post this morning before the kids got up. Got the kids up, got everyone off to school, made Paella and took it into BJo's class, helped the guys pull weeds in our yard, cleaned the kitchen, took some photos of equipment for Terry, and finally I'm getting this post completed.  TaDa!

So we see, life does go on and Life is Good!


Sometimes just writing a post can help me vent a bit and feel better.  Thanks for putting up with my rambling!  Have a great day!


1 comment:

Becky Noftle said...

What is so hard about getting answers? I may make a formal complaint to the medical world at large--answers and more of them please. But I won't because I don't want the medical world to get mad at me or stop working--Terry and Jackson need them too much. Sorry about the MDS, glad this is treatable.