Monday, September 20, 2010

RE-CAP

So sorry we have not kept you updated - our internet has not been working for the past 10 days and we have really missed it. We've heard that many of you have missed it too, as you have been watching for updates. We apologize! They fixed our internet today, so we are back on line!!!!!
WARNING! Lotsa words coming up! There has been a lot left unsaid, and now we can say it, so BEWARE - it's a long read.

- We missed two letters to Michael - The worst part of the internet not working! We did get to read one from him today, and found that he didn't get to email last week anyway. He is still at the hospital with his companion (who will be going home sometime in the next couple weeks. He is finding it tricky to find things to keep him busy there. He gets to have an occasional shower, and has a hand towel to wash up with and "no water needed" shampoo for the other days. He is getting to know the nurses and plays "war games" with them with his companions crutches. I guess one male nurse gets into it pretty good. Some crazy fun to keep him occupied.

- We finally got our school shopping done on the 11th. Yip, late was better than never in this case. Terry and I had done some shopping for the kids while still in Seattle and brought things home to them and Dana took the kids here a time or two, but there were just a few things that needed more attention and we finally got that done. YEAH!

- Stake Conference meetings were so wonderful. It was good to be there with family and friends to hear the messages that were presented, and what wonderful messages they were.

- Last Monday we went to Moses Lake for parts and then I went again Thursday for Terry's meds. It doesn't seem like it's as far as it used to be :). Too many trips to Seattle lately :). It's all about perspective isn't it!?!

- The guys started the silage harvest and things went well for a few days, but ended up having to stop because it was too wet. Our truck drivers this year were Adelfo (our hired man), Chase, Darryl (my brother) and Dustin (our nephew). Thomas was the chopper driver. Terry was moral support and helped with a few repairs. Hard as we try, we just can't keep him away. Darryl and Dustin got to go home for the weekend and longer, until the moisture dries out and the harvest can continue. We hope it does dry out, cause our beans need harvested too. The rain has been beautiful, but it's very pour timing for our farm needs.

- We celebrated two birthdays this week. Those birthdays were posted because I had previously written and post-dated them to come up on the right days. I'm glad I had already done that since our internet was not working properly at the time they were needed.

- It has been fun to see Auger walking all over - he is one year old and looking like the cutest little toddler around.

- The work continues, even tho the harvest is at a stand still. Terry is going to get tired of me telling him he shouldn't do this or shouldn't do that .... Maybe he already is! I'm trying to be careful and not bug him too much. There are certainly many things calling for his attention. He has fixed our vacuum and our stove, but I have called in some help for the dishwasher and oven. Things are really falling apart around here. The gas pump broke and needed replaced, and the trucks are in need of little repairs, and ..... I am grateful for his knowledge and abilities that allow him to tackle these things, but I wish I felt better about his health. I'm just praying like crazy that he will be alright. He does have a cold right now!!!!! Uh Oh!

- We visited with family this past weekend. Sherri (Terry's sister)and Aunt Carol were here from Idaho Falls. We enjoyed seeing everyone. Family is where it's at!

- We did some yard work Sat. morning. I hadn't been a part of that for a long time and it felt really good. It looks better too. We'll have to do it again sometime. :) Yard work is a never ending process, so I'm sure I'll find another opportunity in the near future.

- I bottled 19 quarts and 2 pints of tomatoes today.

- I have been working on re-organizing my house, room by room, and I'm feeling pretty good with things, even though there is still much to do. I've completed the food storage inventory and will need to get right on to the shopping part of that task. At least I now know what I have and what I need.

- Terry's last appointment (Tues, 14th) went well. The doctors reported that his liver is looking better and things look good. Then we got their call on Friday saying that the chimerism tests were back. The number surprised me though. It was 65. That is down from the last report of 68. When I asked about it, they assured me that it was still within the margin of error and they were not too concerned. I wonder then, why were they so happy when it went up from 67 to 68? I'm guessing that it is because the trend was going down and then finally went up. That was a good sign in itself. We believe they will continue to test chimerisms every couple weeks. By the way, that word is said with a K and long i sound (Kimerisms).
Now, having said all that, there is more - Terry got a couple calls today to tell him about Wednesdays appointment. The simple day of blood draw and clinic visit (with a G shot) has become quite a busy day. They have added the dreaded bone marrow biopsy and a cat scan, a culture, and levels testing. With fasting and other instructions for each procedure it is becoming quite the juggling act. It'll surely be a long day for Terry. One of those days that feel good to have over. We'll post the findings of that day later, as long as our internet continues to work. :)

- Homecoming week is this week. Dress ups have begun. I'm not really getting into that like the kids would like. I hope we can come up with things that will work for them.

- I don't think I've posted about school yet - sorry! Everyone seems to be enjoying their year so far. Anthony is in 7th grade and taking football after school. BrittanyJo is a freshman and is taking volleyball after school. Connor is a junior and is not taking a sport this fall. I am enjoying his company and he can help me with things as needed. He is our "runner" - taking and picking up his siblings for their activities. BrittanyJo usually calls Connor to tell him that the activity bus is only a few minutes away from the drop off point and it's time to come get her and Anthony. Chase will go to BYU-I in January, and is working for Shane Christensen on the days he is not working for his dad. He also tries to fit in mowing lawn for his grandpa. His is quite a juggling act too. He's doing a great job of it though!

- Ethan gets blessed this Sunday. We so wanted to be there. I'm sorry we will miss it, but we know it's the way it has to be right now. The doctor told us we couldn't drive it, so we thought we'd get some plane tickets. We talked and worried and wondered until finally we realized we were both uncomfortable with going, even though we really wanted to. We weren't listening to ourselves very well for awhile. Ethan won't miss us now, but I hope that he won't feel too bad in the future when he learns that we weren't there. We vow to make sure he knows that we love him and will do all we can for him as he continues to grow, just as we will for all of our children and our grandchildren. We have not seen him in person, but we are sure that he is the cutest baby there is.

- We love our family! It's good to be home, even if I sometimes wonder if we should still be in Seattle for Terry to keep away from all this work. :)

2 comments:

Becky Noftle said...

I hope Wed. goes well for you, I cringed when I saw Bone marrow aspiration---I know that is not easy. If it helps Terry to know this, many, many people would happily take the pain of this test for him if that were possible. Your always in our prayers. I bet Ethan wants Grandpa to stay away from crowded airports and planes right now so that there can be lots of healthy Grandpa playdates in his future.

Ellen said...

Amen to what Becky said, but you are wise for the choice made. It was so good to see you and spend time together. We continue to pray for you, Terry, the family, the farm and the Drs. and nurses and for the end of this long journey. We pray that the end will be renewed health and strength. Terry, thank you for the hugs and visits. I really enjoyed the time you took to explain to me how you were going to fix the doors on the corn truck and then to be able to go see the end result was sweet. You are such a wonderful brother and I love you dearly. Tell the family hello and good luck in Seattle today. Love, Ellen