Saturday, October 9, 2010

Happy Saturday!

The kids and I spent a few hours pulling nightshade out of the bean field yesterday. It was a bit tricky because we are a little late at getting it done and they are drying out, which makes them not as easy to see or pull out of the rows.

When we got done we went to Wenatchee for dinner and shopping. It was a fun few hours there too. We had a car full of products from Costco and the kids helped bring them into the house and put them all away before going to bed. It was good to have it all in it's proper place.

My body was sore by the time I went to bed, but my spirits were high. I really felt good.

Everyone was cheerful and the day was really a good one, even with difficulties and hardships. Thinking back on what made this day so good made me realize that I have had very few like it the last several months. I haven't spent so much time with the kids for a long time and most everything I did was a service the whole day long.

I love being in situations where we can talk together and enjoy each others company. During our weeding we talked about (among other things) the "stupid cow" story Mervyn B. Arnold shared during conference. We could really relate to it and we loved it's message. The fence was there to protect the cow and keep her away from dangers, but she kept reaching over until she had foolishly broken thru the fence and was on the other side. She kept eating the wheat until she bloated and died. Like this cow, we too have a fence set up for our own good. We have commandments and rules to protect us and keep us from dangers. They are protective, not restrictive. Contrary to popular demand, the grass is never greener on the other side of the fence!

All of the talks during conference were great. Many talked of making wise decisions and many talked of seeking the companionship of the Holy Ghost. Certainly these things can save us from the dangers around us and the evils that tempt us so that we can be safe and protected. We don't want to be like the stupid cow!

Speaking of rules - (Elder Arnold did refer to his parents rules)- Larry R Lawrence spoke of courageous parenting. He said, "What the world really needs is courageous parenting from mothers and fathers who are not afraid to speak up and take a stand." He also said, "There are no perfect parents and no easy answers, but there are principles of truth that we can rely on."

Both of these talks were inspiring. But there were many others that were just as inspiring. I just thought of these because of our experience yesterday, talking about the stupid cow. I look forward to other such experiences with my children and hope to be a good parent, even though I am far from being a perfect parent. I am grateful for the principles of truth that are here for us.

I just wanted to say hello today, and look what it turned into!

1 comment:

Shawna Scorup said...

Amen to the goodness of conference.I think it gets especially tricky when you still are trying to be a good parent after kids are married.I need to remember to be courageous there as well-they have not been through this yet.they have to make decisions but our perspective is valuable.Look what my amen turned into.love shawna