Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

One cannot forget mother and remember God. One cannot remember mother and forget God. Why? Because these two sacred persons, God and mother, partners in creation, in love, in sacrifice, in service, are as one.”
Thomas S. Monson, “Behold Thy Mother,” April 1998 Ensign

A few inspiring verses from President Gordon B. Hinckley:

"Woman is God's supreme creation. Only after the earth had been formed, after the day had been separated from the night, after the waters had been divided from the land, after vegetation and animal life had been created, and after man had been placed on the earth, was woman created; and only then was the work pronounced complete and good."

"My dear sisters, you marvelous women who have chosen the better part, I stand in great admiration for all that you do. I see your hands in everything.... Many of you are mothers, and that is enough to occupy one's full time. You are companions - the very best friends your husbands have or ever will have...."

"You are creatures of divinity; you are daughters of the Almighty. Limitless is your potential. Magnificent is your future."

"You have the potential to become anything to which you set your mind. You have a mind and a body and a spirit. With these three working together, you can walk the high road that leads to achievement and happiness. But this will require effort and sacrifice and faith." I think of the Family Proclamation as I read this.

"Now, my dear sisters.... You are His divine creation. Men hold the priesthood. Yours is a different role, but also extremely important. Without you, our Father's plan of happiness would be frustrated and have no real meaning. You are fifty percent of the membership of the Church and mothers of the other fifty percent. No one can dismiss you lightly."

"God bless you, dear friends. Do not trade your birthright as a mother for some bauble of passing value. Let your first interest be in your home. The baby you hold in your arms will grow quickly as the sunrise and the sunset of the rushing days."

This one is by Marjorie Pay Hinckley, and gives me hope:
"There is no such thing as the perfect mother.... We just do the best we can with the help of the Lord, and who knows, these children who are struggling to be free may someday rise up and call us blessed."


I know many women who make better and more beautiful the world around them, not only because of their physical beauty, but because of their inner beauty and their goodness. Thank you to all who add that special touch... to those who know and understand their Divine Nature and Individual Worth, those filled with Integrity, who are Virtuous and Lovely, those who choose the better part and serve with all their heart and strength, to those who walk by Faith.

Thank you to my mother, and to Terry's mother! You are exemplary women. We love you!
Thank you to all the women in my life for your example and your kindness!

Now to my children - Thank you! I am so happy to be your mother! I love you! You are my greatest treasures.
To my daughters, the wives of my sons - Thank you! I find great joy in the ways you love and selflessly serve your husbands/my sons. Together, We Are Family! We love you!

No comments: