Saturday, July 19, 2014

Friday Chemo and Transfusion

Terry had chemo yesterday and it went well.  This was the last day of the 5 day treatment.

It has been kind of fun this week to watch the chemo nurses learn a new computer program and see just how difficult it is making things for them.  They are all good natured about it, and they realize the benefits of it, but it has certainly been a source of confusion.  There are maybe a dozen nurses (and we know each one of them) and they are smiling and pleasant about it all, all of the time.  There has been a specialist there each day to help them along and teach them how to use this program and each day they have learned a little more and become a little better.   We could see and hear that they would learn that there was still so much more to learn, which brings to mind the saying that goes something like this - "The more I know the more I know I don't know." 

visual from here

"The more you know, the more you realize how much you don't know. The less you know, the more you think you know." David T. Freeman

This new process created some slower moments in the infusion room, but the hospital floor still holds the record for slow moments ..., by far.   Note:  I'm saying that with a smile. 

After the Dacogen infusion we went to the 3rd floor (hospital floor) for the red blood cell and platelets transfusions. 

Terry's counts today:
WBC = 0.3(LL)  [same as Tuesday]
RBC = 2.78(L) [3.21(L) Tuesday]
HGB = 8.5(L) [9.8(L) Tuesday]
HCT = 24.8(LL) [28.3(L) Tuesday]
Platelets = 5(LL) [6(L) Tuesday]
(The reds, hemoglobin, hematocrit, and platelets were all down some so doctor wanted the transfusions today.)

As I calculated the time it might take after hearing the blood was ready I thought we might get home by 5:00pm.  Then we learned that with this new program comes a new "orders" form and that form gave instruction for the blood to be transfused over 2 hours instead of 1 hour per bag.  OH BOTHER!   We may have left the hospital around 5:30pm.  

Things went well for the first few hours, but about 4:00pm Terry started to shiver and chill.  His temperature (45 or 60 minutes later) was 103.5 - NOT GOOD!  The trick those nurses use is to have the patient cough and breathe heavy for a minute or two and take the temperature again.  This has taken the temp down about one degree before, but this time it went to 100.9, and a minute later was 98.something ... I don't remember for sure. 

Terry did throw up a little during the fever/coughing time.  He wants to blame it on the coughing since hard coughing does often make him feel that way.  I was concerned that some sort of infection is present again.  The nurse didn't seem to be too concerned about anything and sent us home.  Okay!  I like going home, but I like making sure all is well too. 

The chilling subsided about 10 to 20 minutes after we got in the car, but the fever returned as we got closer to home so we gave him some Tylenol.  

I'm sure the smoke in the air isn't helping with his sinus and coughing issues.  The smoke was really bad in Wenatchee.  It looked like it was starting to snow when I got out of the car, but it was small pieces of ash floating around in the air.  I spent a few hours doing some shopping and by the end of the day my clothes smelled like I'd been at a camp fire.

Terry had an okay night and is doing fine this morning ..., at least that is what we keep telling ourselves ;)   No fever, just weary and achy (and whatever else he doesn't share out loud).  That's fine ..., right?

I thought I'd add this little story I found for a SMILE -  ;)

A farmer who's been involved in a terrible
road accident with a large truck ended up in court fighting for a
big compensation claim. "I understand you're claiming damages for
the injuries you're supposed to have suffered?" Stated the counsel
for the insurance company.

"Yes, that's right," replied the farmer,
nodding his head.

"You claim you were injured in the accident, yet I
have a signed police statement that says that when the attending
police officer asked you how you were feeling, you replied, 'I've
never felt better in my life.' Is that the case?"

"Yeah, but"
stammered the farmer. "A simple yes or not will suffice," counsel
interrupted quickly. "Yes," Replied the farmer.

Then it was the turn
of the farmer's counsel to ask him questions. "Please tell the court
the exact circumstance of events following the accident when you
made your statement of health," his lawyer said.

replied the farmer. "After the accident my horse was thrashing
around with a broken leg and my poor old dog was howling in pain.
This cop comes along, takes one look at my horse and shoots him
dead. "Then he goes over to my dog, looks at him and shoots him dead
too. Then he come straight over to me and asked me how I was
feeling. "Now, mate, what the [heck] would you have said to him?"

I smiled!  How 'bout you?

It reminds me that "it's all relative!"



1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Belated happy birthday wishes for Terry. My bday was Friday! Didn't know they were so close. But I've never felt better in my life, either! :D