Sunday, June 21, 2015

"male and female created he them"

Happy Fathers Day!

I read through the May 2015 Ensign through the month of May and enjoyed every message.  As I read a message given at the General Conference Priesthood Session

Fatherhood, Our Eternal Destiny by Larry M. Gibson

I felt the goodness of it and decided to write a post - and post dated it for Father's Day.

I enjoyed reading it and thought of my father, my husband, and my sons.  This one sentence touched my heart.

"I love being a husband and father - married to a chosen daughter of heavenly parents.  I love her.  It is one of the most fulfilling parts of my life."   

Immediately after reading that line (and hoping that Terry could say that of me) I changed one thing with that sentence - from male to female because it echoed my sentiments as to how I feel about my position in life.

I love being a wife and mother - married to a chosen son of heavenly parents.  I love him.  It is one of the most fulfilling parts of my life.  

We cannot celebrate Father's Day the same as we have the past 34 years, but we can remember the good times.  It is awesome to have good times to remember.

My thoughts continued - We cannot celebrate Father's Day without mothers and we cannot celebrate Mother's Day without fathers.  There just cannot be one without the other.  Adam may have been created first, but Eve was placed at his side and when they became father and mother it was side by side at the exact same time. One could not be without the other.  That's just the way it is.  That's just the way our Father in Heaven, and I might add, our Savior, Jesus Christ, wanted and planned and created it.  "And, behold, it was very good." (Genesis 1:31)



I am grateful for my earthly father.  You can learn a little about him here.  I am grateful for his many years of love and sacrifice on my behalf, his guidance and counsel, his example of all things good, for his testimony and his faith in Christ. I'm grateful that he is my father. I love him!

I am grateful for my husband, who became the father of our children.  I am grateful for everything about him.  I am grateful that he found me and loved me and wanted me to be at his side always and forever, and lived a life that would allow that to happen.  He is a good man. I love him!

This image is from a poem book I created for him eight years ago.  The image includes words I put together for Terry for our anniversary ten years ago, that tried to share how I felt about him.  They help one see the man Terry was and is, but it is not complete.



One of our sons started a list of thoughtful words that others have used to describe Terry from the cards and comments since his passing.  I have tried to continue to add to it as things continued to come in. As I read through them I feel grateful for him and that others saw him as the good man he was.  I am so anxious to see what he is becoming still.  I look forward to that day with great joy and anticipation.

Some of these were said word for word by more than one, but not listed here more than once. 
·       Pleasure to talk to
·       Great neighbor
·       Wonderful man in our community
·       A great example
·       Endure trial with a positive attitude and stay the same purpose
·       Awesome person
·       Good influence
·       Always close to the spirit
·       Confident in his faith
·       Humbly followed the Savior and His servants
·       Steadiness and constant faith
·       A great man
·       So kind, gentle and humble
·       Full of love
·       Righteous example
·       Always willing to share his testimony
·       Quiet confidence and kindness
·       Always had a smile no matter what he was going through.
·       Very caring man
·       Easy going spirit
·       Friendly disposition
·       Competed hard, always put the team first
·       Inspiration to his teammates and coaches
·       Reflective, intelligent person with solid priorities
·       Quiet, compassionate, loving soul
·       Quiet natured generosity and kindness
·       Valiant spirit
·       No finer man than Terry
·       Such a good man. They don’t come any finer.
·       Incredible beacon of light
·       Sweet smile and sweeter spirit
·       Honorable man, a man to be remembered.  Always had a big heart and good soul.
·       Good man with a good family
·       Very good spirit and soul
·       Good man, wise man, good friend
·       Handsome, wonderful man
·       Gentle and soft.  A man of not many words, but was a poet.  He thought before he spoke and spoke with economy of words in manly way.
·       Courage, strength, faithfulness and endurance
·       Exemplary father and great example of a faith filled life
·       Intense inquisitiveness and compassion.  Quiet yet intense concern for and about others was one of his great strengths.  Wonderful friend and example.
·       Generous and kind
·       An example of what is good and right
·       Wonderful, inspiring man



I am grateful for the years Terry and I had together.  And behold, it was very good!

I am grateful for my 8 sons.  My desire for these sons is that they recognize their eternal destiny and fulfill it well.  I am grateful for the men they are becoming.  We spend a life time becoming, and it doesn't end there.  Improvement and progression is one eternal round.  Each of us has a divine nature.  Wonderful isn't it!

There is a young man out there somewhere that will join our family someday, becoming our only son in law, and I am grateful for him, even though I do not know him at this time.  Most likely BrittanyJo has not yet met him, but he is out there and I pray for him, that he will be the husband and father and son of God that God intends him to be, strong and steadfast in the gospel of Jesus Christ.

I am grateful for good men everywhere - Our Prophet, our Bishop, Priesthood leaders that have blessed our lives and help us become who we are today and encourage us to become better.  Friends and neighbors who share and serve and spread love and kindness.

I am grateful for our loving Heavenly Father.  He and His Beloved Son are One in purpose and together They know me, They love me, They help me, They guide me, They comfort me ...   I love Them!  They make this life so very good!




1 comment:

Ellen said...

My thoughts and prayers have been with and for you as I have pondered how THIS Father's Day would be for you and your family. As usual, you have captured the best in all things and willingly shared, how I love you for your service in this manner. May this day be filled with sweet peace for you. Love Ellen