Monday, October 12, 2015

Here's what's been happening ...

Our house has gone through some changes of late.  Some out of necessity and one out of desire.

After 23 years of weather, especially these blasting winds, our shingles were ending up on the ground too often and a leak was found in the ceiling of my craft room.   Repairs were definitely in order.



But, before we could repair those things I followed through with a desire that Terry and I have had for several years.

A few years ago Terry and his boys built a deck out the dining room and family room doors. Terry put every effort he had into it, but in all honesty, Thomas did much of the work.



(FYI - Past posts about the deck can be found Here and Here.)

We really loved it, but found that we didn't use it as much as we thought we might because of the heat beating down from the sun and the little bit of rain on occasion that sent us all back inside.

In some of the heavy rain and blistering wind days our family room would have some wet carpet, so we knew we needed to do something to fix that problem too.  This roof should solve that problem.

hail storm 20 July 2012

If there is a problem now, it is that the deck will only be washed off when I wash it off. The rain will not do it for me. Oh Bother! That won't be a real problem except for the windy days without the rain, like our last Saturday when we ended up with a field in our yard, covering the deck. It will be a dusty mess to clean when I get around to that one.

Now, back to the real story -
Terry and I had decided that to make the deck worth it's money we should cover it, but Terry's health held us back with that project, so it never did happen.

With the roof needing new shingles it seemed that now would be the time to make that change, so I finally put that plan in motion.







It is so awesome!  I am sure we will love it.  I already love it!

The roofing got completed.  Old shingles removed and new put on.




Next up - paint the exterior.  Then maybe I can finally get the shutters back up at the windows (something else Terry and I have wanted to do for awhile and didn't get it done) and put the railing back around the deck.  I just keep keeping us busy with something, as if seminary wasn't enough.

BTW - I love my seminary students!!!!!   They are AWESOME!!!!!    Everyone would want to teach seminary if they had my students.   The students might want a new teacher, but I don't want to trade any of my students!   The Lord gave them to me, and I'm grateful that He did.





3 comments:

Becky Noftle said...

Sierra doesn't want to trade, she loves you as her seminary teacher!

Lisa said...

Elaine, this is so awesome! I'm happy for you that you're able to complete the plans that you and Terry made. Way to take charge and move forward protecting and improving the home you built together.

Ellen said...

I am so excited for you to have this done for your home. It will probably seem like you have added on because of it being more useable more of the time. Are you just loving teaching seminary? I know you are an awesome teacher and wish I could sit in on a few classes. Love you Elaine.