Saturday, August 13, 2016

Seminary Prep!

I have to admit that I'm feeling overwhelmed with the responsibilities I have been given, but I am so grateful for the opportunity to teach seminary.   I look forward to the spiritual enlightenment that comes from studying the word of God. 

I never expected to feel this way, but I'm getting anxious to begin seminary, but I still have a lot of prep, so I'm not rushing it.






Along with preparing for seminary, I have been preparing for a talk I'll give in Sacrament Mtg.  
The Stake President asked that each seminary teacher speak in their ward this month.  I begin that tomorrow, in the Royal 1st Ward and 3rd Branch.  (The 1st ward teacher is out of town, so it's my privilege.)  We will also have our short kick off meeting with the students and their parents.  We start the 29th!!!!







Elder Packer referred to seminary as a "God Send" - I believe it.
I am grateful for all of the teachers and students who helped make seminary a “God Send” for me and my family.    


I had a fun moment with a mathematical equation.

I was adding up the years that my family has been blessed through seminary. 

9 children x 4 years of seminary 
+ Terry and I x 4 years 
+ Terry taught 2+ years  
+ I taught one.  
= 47+ years of seminary.  


+ my mother and father x 4 years  
+ father taught 2+ years  
+ Terry’s mother and father attended? x 4 (I'm guessing they attended) 
+ she taught 1 (or 2, 3, ?)  
= 67+ years of seminary.


I can continue ...

+ 6 of my siblings x 4 years (+ some have taught seminary)
+ 5 of Terry's siblings x 4 years (+ some have taught seminary)
+ 7 daughters in law x 4 years
= 139+ years of seminary. 



But acquiring spiritual knowledge isn’t just for seminary students and teachers; it is for every one of us.    So...


If I use those same people in my family, as if they had each studied the scriptures just once daily in a personal or a family setting since they were 1 year old, my numbers would change.


67+ becomes 675+ years of acquiring spiritual knowledge
139+ would be 845+.


It continues
+ my grandchildren 
+ my grandparents
+ Terry's grandparents
=  1480+ years of acquiring spiritual knowledge.  


Imagine what that number would be if I added all of our ancestors from their first missionary discussion to now.


All of these years of seeking and acquiring spiritual knowledge have blessed our lives, helped us make better choices, directed us in the proper path, prepared us for upcoming experiences, and brought us closer to Jesus Christ. 

This doesn't mean that no one has made mistakes or faltered, but it does mean we have the proper foundation to keep us steadfast and immovable if we continue on the right path.



Now, for your listening pleasure...






No comments: