Saturday, December 30, 2017

A REMEMBERING Christmas


This Christmas holiday was another one of those joyful occasions when family gathers together.  It is always fun to see children and grandchildren enjoy being together.




We opened gifts as usual but there was something added to our gift opening that was unique and special for us this year.  




I wanted our children and grandchildren to remember special moments with their loved ones so I asked each to text, email, or write a memory of a certain person or people before they opened each gift.  It's important to share these memories and hold them close to our hearts. It helps build a connection that can last forever.  






I knew it would be fun to read, but it was even more special than I had hoped it would be.  What a wonderful Christmas gift it was reading these memories.  I asked for memories of Terry, his parents, and my parents.



Among the gifts were some "homemade" gifts made by my mother and father.  This is a train he made for us years ago (when Gregory was born).  The kids played with it for years until I put it up on the library shelves for safe keeping, coming down only a few times for a grandchild's request.




Dad and mom made more this year after asking each of their children how many they would like.  I ordered one for each of our children and gave it to them for Christmas.  


I also received a homemade Christmas gift from my parents - a shuffle board.  There will, of course, be much more fun in the future.  




In this picture one of the grandchildren spilled their mini m&ms onto the board.  This brought a cheerful noise and created another fun activity.


There were many fun activities during the holiday - like playing in the snow.   





We also enjoyed going to the theater to watch a movie.  Something we have done a few times in the past.  





This year we saw FERDINAND at the Lee Theater in Ephrata ..., with pizza.  :)   





This story is about Ferdinand - a bull in Spain who would rather sit under the cork tree and smell flowers than fight in the bullfights. 






I bought this book for Terry many years ago.  It was a fun story for Terry and I because of Terry's service to the Spain, Barcelona mission (1976-78). Unfortunately I'm not sure if our children really remember us reading it to them much.  I did pull it out and read it to those here at the house the day before we went to the movie.




It was a cute movie, though a bit different than the book.  Because of the connection with the book I felt like Terry was a part of this fun family adventure.  I am sure he would have enjoyed it too.  I am anxious for the video to come out so I can own it.


This Christmas we remembered fun moments from our past and it will be a fun Christmas to remember.  I have invited all to continue to send me memories for the next few months, if not forever.  When I asked for these memories I knew it would be great to receive them, but it feels more like I gave myself a special Christmas gift. I enjoyed reading every word and recalling the special moments each talked about.

There is joy in remembering.



No comments: