Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Thank You for Waiting!

Message by Elaine, given February 21, 2009 at Stake Conference, Saturday Night Adult Meeting.

When Pres Christensen told me the theme of the meeting I thought, "That's a great theme!" My part was the "Be Still" part; "waiting patiently on the Lord". I love this theme. It touches my heart, Even amidst all my fear while Pres. Christensen was asking me to speak I was having some reassuring thoughts like: I have experience with this that I can share. I can testify of this. As each of you surely can too.

The next day at Terry's chemo treatment I was thinking about those experiences that I just knew I could share, but I wasn't coming up with much. I turned to Terry and told him of my stupor of thought. His reply was, "BE PATIENT, THEY'LL COME!"
I love his advice. They did come. I remembered many experiences that I've had. I wish I could share them all, but I only have a few min.

Terry has been my best friend for over 29 years now and he has often helped me learn how to accept things that I cannot change.

I have had a tendency to worry a lot. One day, years ago, when I was talking with Terry about a concern or worry I had he just looked at me and said; "Why do you worry about things like that?" Does worrying change or solve anything? Honestly - it just makes me feel worse. That was an eye opener to me. Worrying is not very productive. I have tried to not worry about as many things since then.

When we cannot change the challenge we are faced with we must Let it go. Our Savior has already gone through this for us. He understands. No matter what the issue is - turn it over to Him.

A few years ago we were asked to give Sac Mtg talks. The topic I was speaking on was faith and obedience. (here is a very short version of the story)
I forgot my notes and there was no time to return to get them. This was a major problem for me - I write things out word for word. I knew I had to practice what I was preaching - have faith that the Lord would help me thru my talk and be obedient in keeping my assignment.
I prayed hard, asked the kids to pray for me, and asked Terry to give me a blessing. I jotted down a few notes, and felt the Spirit prompt me as I spoke, then, about 15 minutes into my talk I felt my mind go blank (more common for me :) I should have been comfortable there, but I wasn't) Fear and panic began to set in, I thought "What now?", then just as quickly as the fear set in a sweet peace came and I heard "Just close now, This is enough!" So I did. I sat down with a sigh of relief and a feeling of peace. I had accomplished a tremendous task - but not on my own. I had turned it over to the Lord & He helped me thru this difficulty.

I do testify that praying to your Heavenly Father and then continuing in faith brings great results. Tell Him your concerns - tell Him everything, poor out your heart, Then trust in Him, HE SENDS US GUIDANCE AND PEACE!

Richard G. Scott said; “Humble, trusting prayer brings consolation, solace, comfort, direction, and peace the unworthy can never know.”
(we might take note of a few things in that quote)
- the need to be humble,
- the importance of trusting prayer,
- and the fact that we must be worthy.
Remember "the Lord cannot dwell in unholy places".

The latest encouragement I hear often from my husband when I have a concern is simply - “It’ll turn out better than you think!” and it usually does. These loving little reminders help put my mind at ease. They help me remember to be still and wait patiently on the Lord. They remind me to focus on the things that I can change, let go of the other. They are encouragement to proceed with trust. Trust in the Lord.

One scripture given to me for this message is Psalms 27:14 “Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and He shall strengthen thine heart.”
Elder Wirthlin’s inspiring council in his last conference message was simply- “Come what may and love it!”
Instead of worrying, accept it, love it. Be of good courage, and He will strengthen us.

Just before Thanksgiving 2004, Terry was diagnosed with small lymphocytic lymphoma / chronic lymphocytic leukemia. We were concerned - his health was deteriorating fast. He would be starting chemotherapy treatments the first of Dec. Our hearts were heavy. What was going to happen to our family? We tried to understand what lie ahead for us, but we weren’t sure.
What we did know was that worrying wouldn't help, and we knew where to turn.
My personal slogan has often been - “The Lord is my strength!” Where else can we go for peace?
We prayed, and asked each of our fathers to give Terry a blessing. We have found peace and comfort and strength.
We still don’t have all the answers. Terry is not cured. He is in the middle of his 3rd set of treatments within 4 1/2 years. But - we just keep on keepin on. We are waiting, striving to remain true to the Lord, accepting what comes our way, and looking forward to a bright future. We feel safety. We feel peace. We feel love. And we know that “it’ll turn out better than we think!”
I testify that we can find peace amidst the storms that threaten us. Our Heavenly Father knows of our heartache and suffering. He loves us and wants the best for us. We must never doubt this.
He does not always intervene in the course of events, but He has promised the faithful peace even in their trials and tribulations. (Elder Joseph B Wirthlin, May 2000 Ensign)

There were other scriptures given to me for this evening, all with a similar message of waiting on the Lord. I followed some of the foot notes and was led to 2 Nephi 6:13 where I had previously written a note in the margin that said: “to wait = to remain true to Him, to remain strongly attached while staying put or still until something expected happens.” I love that little bit of info.

Waiting on the Lord is not just waiting - it requires something -
- It requires remaining true, and strongly attached to Him.
- Remaining true requires faith. "It is after the trial of our faith" that the blessings come.
- It requires living the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
- It requires staying put, with our feet firmly planted in gospel soil.
- It requires charity - charity suffereth long, is not easily provoked, beareth all things, and endureth all things.
- Staying put requires being steadfast and immovable.
“Ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men” (2 Ne 31:20)
To be steadfast in Christ implies keeping covenants. Each week we renew our baptismal covenants to “take His name upon us”, to “always remember Him,” and to “keep His commandments”. (D&C 20:77) Doing these things gives us hope to carry on. It changes our hearts, allowing us to feel the love of God in our lives.

Christ said, “I am the Way!” and He meant it. He is the way to find peace.

I love this quote from Elder Dallin H Oaks, he said; “The Gospel of Jesus Christ is the brightest light and the only hope for this darkened world”

I testify that “when we live the gospel, the Lord helps us meet our challenges.” “It will not eliminate all of our problems, but the gospel will give us direction to help us solve our problems and the comfort and peace we receive from living close to the Lord can help us face those problems without panic or fear. (#3 Living the Gospel Daily)

Living close to the Lord is so important. “If we develop a relationship with Christ, ... we will have a quiet confidence that will see us through any trial. Whatever the anxiety, or fear, or frustration, we have only to remember the Lord’s comforting words to the Prophet Joseph Smith in the Liberty Jail, ‘My son, peace be unto thy soul.’ To each of us, Christ will always be there to say ‘My son or my daughter, ... peace be unto thy soul.” (Church news Oct 8, 1994, Elder Ladd)
Terry had such an experience during a Spanish Branch Sacrament Mtg one day as he was telling the members about his health condition. He felt Heavenly Father's love for him personally and he heard the comforting reassurance that everything would be alright.

In the midst of chaos, we must pause and must listen for the Spirit that tells us, “All is well”. There is great cause to be concerned, but there is greater reason to be at peace. (May 2003 Ensign, Blessed by Living Water)

One day in the temple, while I was expecting our 7th child, I was saying a quite prayer, asking that this child be a girl. I had confidence that the Lord could make it so. While I was petitioning the Lord I heard, “This one isn’t, but the next one will be!” My thoughts and attitude changed drastically. It was as if I stood up and threw my hands in the air and spoke out loud the words, “What do you mean the next one, there isn’t going to be a next one!”
My goodness! What was I thinking? Who did I think I was talking to? Where did I think that message came from? I had been given a message that should have been a “tender mercy” - meant surely to calm my soul and prepare me for what was to come. But, I shrugged it off, ignored it, even denied it. I put it out of my mind and never thought of it again.
Then, after we had our 8th child, and it was our first girl, I was lovingly reminded of that experience in the temple a few years earlier. I felt the much deserved chastisement and was quite humbled. Did He not “tell me in my mind” the things that I should know, that would help bring peace to my heart and my soul?

I testify that we must listen, we must accept these messages from the Lord, sent thru the Comforter, for just that purpose, to comfort us. This comfort sent to us will surely make the waiting easier.

I testify that we must exercise faith in the Lord, in His teachings, His promptings, and in His limitless power. We can grow in faith only if we are willing to wait patiently for God’s purposes and patterns to unfold in our lives, on His timetable. Remember that “faith is things which are hoped for and not seen.”

Before I close, I testify that these things which I have spoken of are true. Being still and waiting patiently on the Lord may not be easy, but it will be worth it.

Isaiah 30:18-21 reminds us “...blessed are they that wait for him... this is the way, walk ye in it.”

While sitting in the waiting room at the clinic last week I heard a receptionist lift up the phone and say “Thank you for waiting!” It was said so sincerely that it touched my heart. Of course I knew of my assignment at the time so it meant a little more than it might have otherwise.
After hearing it I thought of how I’ve always hoped that the Lord would be able to say to me “Well done thou good and faithful servant”, and this day, because I now understand more fully what it can mean, I add another phrase I might like to hear Him sincerely say, - “Thank you for waiting” 



First posted at http://waitingpatientlyonthelord.blogspot.com/



1 comment:

Jason and Kristi Ann said...

Hi, Aunt Elaine and Uncle Terry! I am trying to get Christmas cards out to those with no addresses in my address book. Brandon and Thomas are two such families that I don't have addresses for. Will you e-mail me their addresses? Thank you! kristi_ann_bolles@hotmail.com