Monday, March 30, 2009

PS.

One more thing - I can't seem to let this go.
I've thought a lot about someone special this last few weeks and today is his special day. Today is my youngest brother's birthday.
Lamont died in 1988, when he was 11 years old. We love him and we miss him, but we are so very grateful for the opportunity to see him again some day.
I've often thought that Anthony looks a lot like him, especially when he was younger. I've occasionally seen a little of Lamont in him through these past years, but in a while I will not be able to see that because I will not have seen Lamont at that age. Anthony will be 11 in May, so I have one last year. Then, maybe I'll see what Lamont might have looked like if he'd been here with us. I have even noticed some similarities in personalities - maybe this is because they are both the youngest in the family, so they have that attitude that the youngest/baby of the family often has.
We know a young man that was born around the same time Lamont was and I have occasionally watched him through the years knowing that my brother would or could be that age, and/or doing similar things if he were still alive. I have found some joy as I have seen him, his wife, and his children.
It may sound odd to some, but for me it warms my heart. I have felt some tender mercies as I have watched this young man Lamont's age, and as I have seen Lamont in my youngest son. We miss him, but we know he is in a great place and loved and cared for even better than if he were here. For now, Lamont has other responsibilities and assignments, but some day we will share in the joy of family, together again.
Maybe we'll have birthday cake today!

2 comments:

Darin and Angie Smith said...

Your pure, sweet insight always touches my heart. May we all look at the blessings left here on Earth to remind us of those that have gone before. Thank you for sharing.

Kings said...

wow aunt elaine this is really touching. i really wish i could have had a chance to get to know uncle lamont. the great thing is, is after this life, i will have a chance to meet him. thanks for writing this. : )