Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Preserving Memories

"A birth certificate shows that we were born.
A death certificate shows that we died.
Pictures show that we lived!"


The preserving of memories and history is something that I am somewhat passionate about. I love the focus it puts on families...together forever. This preserving started years ago in the form of scrap books for each of our children and has evolved into publishing of a different sort.

After many years of scrap booking the same photos of our reunions, vacations, and histories for 10 different scrap books I decided that placing photos and info just once then printing that collection 10 times was easier. The time saved seemed worth the extra few dollars. I still do both, scrap booking for each of my children still at home and occasional book publishing for all of my children.

I've learned a lot about creating books and look forward to learning more. I'm definitely hooked and so grateful for these companies. They provide a great way to preserve memories.
I've decided to share what I have learned, just in case someone else might be interested. It is my opinion that each has their place in the book creating market. I've listed them in the order that I learned of and used them.

Heritage Makers - A great selection of book sizes, cards and other products, backgrounds and clip art. Pages can be created as desired with any size photo and clip art. No two books will have to look the same because of a huge selection of paper and clip art. Start with a blank page and make it what you want. They also have some templates available if desired. My favorite book to create from this company has become the wedding guest books - no other company can compare for this type of book.
pros = greatest opportunity for creative expression.
cons = expensive, requires membership fees.
I will continue using Heritage Makers for guest books and other books/cards needing the paper/decor available in this company.

Shutterfly - After using Heritage Makers and having the freedom of ... well, everything, this was really hard to use. If I had started here it might have been okay. But I was too limited and didn't enjoy it. Having said this, I must also say that the finished product turned out great, and the photos printed in this book turned out bright and clear. I couldn't put words and photos where I wanted and there was no clip art. I was too limited.
I used this site a couple years ago, so things might have changed since then - I haven't gone back to try again.

Blurb - This is awesome! It allows you to slurp things from your blog (words and photos) into a book and then make changes and additions. A great "yearbook". The pages flow together (when there are too many words for one page it flows on to the next page) and photos can be added. Color can be used, but no clip art. Several sizes available and the finished product looked great. This is definitely a storybook type book which worked great for our Hebdon family reunion last year.
pros = slurping from blog feature, flowing pages.
cons = no clip art (but remember that isn't a bad things for some types of books).
I will continue using this company - I have a couple ideas for future books.

Mixbook - I liked the look of the book I created. Clip art is minimal, so unless I use a seasonal option my books would all have the same clip art from one to the next - that's not going to happen - each occasion/book needs it's own look.
pros = cheaper price, but good quality.
cons = small clip art selection.
Glad I used it this one time, and may use it again if creating a seasonal book.

Do you know of a different book creating site? :)

No comments: