Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Hay Days

 Our hay harvest began as soon as it could after the rains stopped. 


The men wanted a couple more balers in the field, so they started thinking of who could help them.  The help was right here in the family, but I wasn't one of the volunteers - I just don't do well staying up all night and wasn't too excited about the whole idea at this age.   But I wasn't useless - I helped out, just in a different way.
 
Of Course Terry, Thomas, and Michael were each on balers.  New to the crew this year was Dana, who baled every night with the guys.  I kept the grandkids here so she could go bale.
One night I added another grandchild to the party so Tawnee could go bale. 
I know ..., I had the easiest job and the most fun!
Anthony helped bale two nights and BrittanyJo baled one night.  (It's a little harder when you have to get up for school the next day.  Sometimes you don't get up, you just come in from the field and get ready for school.)
This was the first year for the girls.  Now that they all have learned how to bale, we have extra people.  That's a good thing.
 
Here is the fun part - grandchildren at the house.
Auger and Akleigh spent a lot of time with us while Dana was helping throughout parts of the day and being here other parts of the day, and we had everyone here for most of the meals.  We had a great week.
 
We had a lot of toys being used and enjoyed, like this train Auger is playing with.
 

Babies received love from Akleigh.
 
 
 I did the cooking, and the cleaning, except for one day when Dana and BrittanyJo had some time in the kitchen making pizza and desserts.   We were a farm family at it's best, working, eating, playing, and sleeping in the same house.  (Except the baler work wasn't in the house of course.)  There were several meals where we would have 11 people around our dining table again.  It's a fun thing!


One morning while everyone was trying to catch up on some much needed sleep, the two kids and I made some cowboy cookies.  We had a lot of fun.  When their mommy asked them what they wanted for breakfast they told her they already had it - cookie dough and cookies.  Um!  Isn't that what gramma's are for?   I tried to give them cereal, but they were not interested.  Akleigh did have a piece of bread!  Oatmeal for breakfast isn't bad right?  There is oatmeal in cowboy cookies. ;)
 

I love having the grandkids around, and enjoy seeing their advancements.  Elsie is scooting around and loving life.  She is a happy and pleasant little gal.  We love her, and Akleigh wants to be with her all the time when we are together.
 
 
I LOVE FAMILY!
 
Oh, the hay got baled and the kids returned to their own homes ...,  and ..., yip, at times I feel like I'm going thru withdrawals. 
 
Funny thing -  I have been quite tired even though I didn't bale.  I did stay up later than normal, and I never sleep well when Terry is gone, and I feel like I was up all night with them.    I am always tired when the guys bale.   I can only imagine how tired they are, because they were the ones working.  Silly thing huh!  I'm tired because they baled! 

Must be Sympathy Pains!
 
Oh Bother!
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sounds awesome. like the good old days. I have mentioned the same idea here in Blythe, but its not quite so well received by all