Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Family Reunion

'Tis the season for family reunions!
 
We were all looking forward to this year's family reunion at Pacific City, Oregon. Another thing we were looking forward to was getting the wheat harvested.  Both seemed to need done at the same time, so that was a bit tricky for us.
 
We started harvesting wheat on Monday and the reunion was to start on Tuesday.  The harvest would take about 4 good days, and the last full day of the reunion was Thursday, so we wouldn't be able to fit both of those things into our schedule as we had hoped.
 
Terry told me to take the kids and go, but with his poor health lately, I just couldn't leave him.  I was torn apart - wanting to go and wanting to stay - each had an important place in my heart, but I knew what I had to do. I had to ask the Lord for peace because I was feeling so disappointed, and I am so grateful that He did send it.
 
 I didn't want the kids to miss it, so we sent BrittanyJo and Anthony early.  They followed my brother and arrived in time for all of the festivities.  I am so grateful that he was willing to lead the way and be there for them if anything went wrong.  I wouldn't have sent her off on her own, especially that far away and with no idea of the area. I love my family and I'm so grateful for their compassionate service. 
 
After two good days of harvest Terry decided that we would leave Wednesday afternoon to attend the last full day of the reunion (Thursday). 
Wouldn't you know - that morning the combine steering went out and had to be repaired.  So, Terry made a quick trip to Odessa for parts and repaired the combine.  We finally left about 4:30pm, arriving in Pacific City at about 11:00pm. 
Thomas and Michael stayed to finish the wheat harvest. I was grateful that they did that, but sorry that they missed out on the reunion.  Luckily they had each had some time off earlier so that helped me feel a bit better.
 
My parents and their children - missing one couple unable to attend, and one son who passed away many years ago.
 

Gregory and Adena were able to attend this year.  It was fun to stroll along the beach with the kids and collect some precious souvenirs together.
 
 
 
This is the house we stayed in (with other family members) and gathered in for one of the meals.  It was right on the beach, comfortable, and enjoyable - it had everything we needed kitchen tools, bathroom and beach towels, movies, games, sand, beach, space, a great view, etc. 


We gathered for family pictures, wishing that Haystack Rock was more visible, but happy to be together ...,


We played ball ...,


decorated and flew kites ...,


played Kubb ...,


visited ...,



strolled along the beach ..., collected sea shells ...,



gathered (at another home) for dinner and more time together ...,


enjoyed the traditional candy toss by Grandpa Ron ...,
(usually it is peanut m&m's being tossed, but this year it was individually wrapped candies ..., enjoyed by all ...,  could you imagine m&m's out on this wet lawn?  ew! yuk!  )



Time went by too fast for us and clean up began Friday morning.  There wasn't much to do because it was much like a motel - use it and leave it for them to clean up.  We did make sure it was straightened up (and we had to wash our dishes and put one load of towels in the washer). It was an awesome place!

Terry enjoyed some time with Maddie while we were packing up.

 
 It was so awesome to be able to attend this one day.  I am so grateful for everything that came into place to allow it, from the parents that started this family through to the siblings that planned this years reunion, and the kids that stayed home to harvest, and a husband who loves his wife and desired to make her happy ...,

I am also grateful for the peace that our loving Father in Heaven sends to help us make it through the tough days.  We all have those tough days and wouldn't be able to live as happily without His help.  We are so blessed!
 
 

No comments: