Monday, March 30, 2015

The Continuous Atonement

As I have mentioned before, reading has been a difficult thing for me to do after Terry passed away. It was just like coming out of anesthesia and not being able to concentrate - strange feeling, and unexpected.   I kept trying to read a few things but always gave up.

Yesterday I picked up one book that I had previously started (but put down due to the fact that I wasn't getting anything out of it).  I really wanted to learn from it so I waited until I could focus on it. When I tried again last night I was pleased to find that I could read it and understand it.  I read for a few hours (with a few breaks talking to the boys) until my mind stopped accepting anymore words, but I was pleased at the progress and enjoyed what I read.

The Continuous Atonement by Brad Wilcox has now become a favorite of mine.  I don't read very often, and it takes a special book to make me want to read.  This was one of them.  BrittanyJo read it for a class assignment last fall and loved it, so I purchased a copy for me (I like to underline things as I read) but it took me this long to get into it.



One of my favorite books in the late 90's was Within Reach by Robert L. Millet.   Those two books will remain my favorites.  The Peacegiver by James L. Farrell was a good book too, and A Quiet Heart by Patricia T. Holland, and there were others that I have enjoyed.  Today though, I am very grateful for The Continuous Atonement - the book and the Atonement itself.

It is a perfect time of year to read it if you are looking for something good to read and haven't read it yet (or want to re-read it).  I underlined many things in the book so I could refer to them again as needed, but I wanted to post a few here too.  I hope I can choose the most appropriate and not over do it.  I don't want to re-write or copy the book here, but there are several things that have touched my heart that I want to remember.  I have added a few visuals to help break up the read.


image from here
"Christ's Atonement is at the very core of God's plan.  Without His dear, dear sacrifice, there would be no way home, no way to be together, no way to be like Him." (Bruce C. Hafen)


"... without us, those blessed emblems merely sit in trays.  


Mormon-church-sacrament_emblems
image from here
We must pick them up and put them inside.  We must internalize Jesus' offering.  That's how we thank Jesus for all He has done - by accepting His love, remembering His sacrifice, and applying His teachings and Atonement in our lives.  Christ's gifts are freely given, but they must also be freely received."



"Where there is great love and attachment, there is great risk of pain."  


"The Fall was designed - complete with all the accompanying misery and pain - to ultimately bring us freedom and happiness."

"The gospel of Jesus Christ was not given to prevent our pain.  The gospel was given us to heal our pain."  (Marie K. Hafen)



Atonement means "to cover".  "Jesus covers us when we feel lost and discouraged.... He doesn't always clear the path, but He does illuminate it.  Along with being the light, He also lightens our loads...  He doesn't always take burdens away from us, but He strengthens us for the task of carrying them and promises they will be for our good."  (And He keeps His promises!)


Mormons believe in Jesus Christ
image from here
In Arabic or Aramic the verb meaning to atone is kafat, which means "to embrace."  "Be faithful and diligent in keeping the commandments of God, and I will encircle thee in the arms of my love." D&C 6:20.



"The Atonement is not just about paying debts but about transforming debtors."

"Jesus chose to become like us so that we can choose to become like Him."

"God is pleased with every effort we make."

"Christ is not waiting at the finish line; He is finishing our faith.  Grace is not the prize at the end of the climb.  It is the enabling power throughout."

image from here

"The Lord helps us to help ourselves."

"Christ's requirements are not so that we can make the best of the Atonement, but so that - on His generous terms - the Atonement can make the best of us."


I am not prepared for Easter weekend in the temporal or material sense so I'm glad to have a few more days, but I am very ready for it spiritually.

I am looking forward to hearing more great things at our General Conference - 4th and 5th of April.  How to View Live
What a perfect time to fill our souls with words of God, from God, through His servants.



1 comment:

Ellen said...

The Continuous Atonement is one of my favorite books too. Thank you for sharing.