Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Funeral Planner

We have certainly had our share of funerals in this area. Our most recent attendance at one such event makes me a bit concerned for myself. Let me first preface with this - I have never really enjoyed attending a funeral. Other people have different attitudes and have shared how they love learning about the plan of salvation and feeling our Heavenly Father's love as they do, they enjoy hearing about the life of the person whom we are "celebrating" and all of their cute stories that are shared. I do enjoy that, but still have a hard time wanting to go - there is still so much sorrow. I was feeling that way again and really not wanting to attend one more funeral, but I love the family and felt a need to attend, so I did.
When we got the program (or whatever that paper is called) I noticed how beautiful it was. I loved that they shared photos of him, his wife, and his children. On the back they listed his posterity. I appreciated it all and thought that I wanted to remember that for when I might have need to design one for a loved one. What an heirloom!
I wondered why we never see any slide show or video presentation while the speakers are telling these fun memories or personal facts. We would love to see photos of the loved one thru the years as the speaker is sharing. It would be so interesting. Maybe I'll check into that sometime in the future if I need to plan a program for a loved one.
Several times while listening to the speakers I was reminded of some fond memories with my father (since at this funeral each of this father's children shared some special personal experiences they remembered about him). It was quite delightful. It was fun to remember some special moments with my father, but it was so awful thinking that someday I might have to remember them for such a sorrowful time as these people were going thru. None-the-less, I have them to remember, and I am grateful for them. And, if needed someday, I will gladly share them. And yet, if I go before my dad does, then who will share them for me? Maybe I'd better share them now, while we are both still living. Maybe that will become another category for my posts - all about my loved ones. I'll consider it for awhile.
Now as I think back on what my feelings were during this occasion, I realized that I had indeed attended too many funerals lately and have become too familiar with them, even to the point of feeling much like a funeral planner, rather than a wedding planner. I enjoy the wedding reception/open house planning that I have to do, but this funeral planning will not be so exciting.
One last thing - for years I have told Terry that I don't need a funeral, just plant me and let me go! But then I realize that I don't have to attend my own funeral anyway, so why should I care? (except I don't want anyone to have to try to come up with something good to say about me.) Maybe he won't get a funeral if he dies first! I don't want to sit thru it and try to hold back the tears, and there is no cry-room in our chapel, so whatever shall I do? This is not a race, but I like that I should go first!
Okay, this post is proof of too many funerals! Ya think!
I suppose that before I end, I should say, with all kidding aside, that I do know that the Lord does bless us and help us thru hard times. I have felt His love and a special peace within as He comforts and directs us in time of need. We are never alone! I am so grateful for that.

No comments: