Wednesday, January 5, 2011

What To Do First

Priorities are hard to decide sometimes. I was going to do my best to get it straight this year but it seems that many things are always getting left undone. I have become accustomed to that and am learning to adjust. With a long list of things to do, which includes cleaning up after the passing year and preparing for the new year, I chose to take a look at the things we are thankful for.

A couple weeks before Thanksgiving our family decided to write down something we were thankful for each day for the rest of the year. Not everyone participated daily like I had hoped, but it was a fun read for me this morning as I looked at the things that were written.
Each paper was rolled up, put into a jar, and not looked at until I read them today. I tossed them in the garbage after I read them and then decided I should keep them for a little while longer.



Here is a sampling of what was written on our papers, but not in any order, because they were dumped out and scrambled. Some were written more than once in our jar, but are listed only once here (hopefully :):

family history
warm blankets
nativities
postal service
automobiles
bandages
Christmas
puzzles
general conference
families
bishopric
decorations
fireplace
our farm
teeth
books
pots and pans
living prophet/Pres. Monson
relief society
cookies
school
children
scriptures
clothes
lights
grandparents
communication / words / etc.
grandchildren
internet
pretty wrapping paper
life
shoes
orthodontist
game consoles
support from everyone
brains
missionaries
money
newsletters
muscle
dentists
names
indoor plumbing
home
friends old & new
doctors
bed
peace & happiness
snow
wife
sweaters
blankets
the Holy Ghost / Comforter
trees
food
cameras
socks
my husband
The Hebdon's
Alma
paper
Book of Mormon
phones
movies
animals
pen
body
photos
what Christ did for us / how He died for us
blogging
water
Bishop Allred
technology
chocolate
chicken
visiting teachers
mom
gifts / giving
scrapbooking
insulation
church
sports
testimony
Jesus Christ
tables
parents
cooking utensils
holidays
patriarchal blessings
warm house
braces
patriarchal blessing from grandpa
fire
each member of our family was listed individually, including some aunts and uncles and cousins

The bishopric gave each family a gratitude book for Christmas. I'm going to write this list in that and we'll continue to add to it. We'll also add some stories or experiences that help us realize how grateful we are for ... whatever we are thankful for. Surely it will be a great year if we are trying to be aware of our many blessings and recognize whom they all come from.

I am surely grateful that we had a safe trip to and from Rexburg, for the family we saw there (and left there) and for BYU-I .... I am grateful that all was well when we arrived home again.
This is Chase's first day of college and I surely hope to be grateful that it was a good one! We love you Chase!
Now on with my list of things to do .... I'll get them done - eventually!

1 comment:

Adena and Greg said...

We did a similar thing around thanksgiving with a gratitude tree and leaves. I loved seeing what the kids came up with!