Monday, April 15, 2013

Graduation

Skyler graduated from BYU-I this last weekend.
His major was in chemistry.
 
Terry and I were able to attend, but after making sure I took my camera with me on the trip, I left it in the motel.  There was just so much going on ... Oh Bother!
 
However, I did steal a few photos from Skyler and Lisa's blog
(where you will find a few more)
 
Here he is receiving his diploma cover! 
Don't ya just love how they receive only the cover at graduations!  ;)  It was really cute how they made it a fun moment at this departments Convocation Ceremony, as they announced how exciting it was going to be for each of these students who had spent 4 to 6 or even 7 years to arrive at this special moment of receiving their diploma cover.   (Diplomas will be mailed of course.)
 
 
Here is Skyler and his sweetheart, Lisa
 
 
Now, Skyler and his parents ..., us!
 
 
Graduations always seem long to me, and when there is a Commencement and a Convocation ceremony on the same evening it makes for a long evening.  But, there were wonderful messages given and beautiful musical presentations that have touched our hearts and minds.
 
I'll share a very shortened version with you as I highlight a few of my favorite parts.  They were excellent messages, but I will not expound on them.  Part of what makes a message so special is how each one receives it, so hopefully you can each receive something personal as you read these short quotes.
 
- "In all thy getting get understanding" and "lean not unto thine own understanding but trust in the Lord"   (two scriptures that fit so well together)
 
- "This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it" (quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson)
 
- "How we react to our failures can be more important than how we react to our successes"
 
There was a beautiful musical number that touched my heart so deeply.  It was "Come thou Fount", sung by a friend of Skyler's, Parker Crandall (also in chemistry), accompanied on the piano by Lindsey Pruden (also in chemistry) and another special addition of a cellist (I don't have his name) - it was amazingly beautiful. Very well done - couldn't have been better ..., well, unless I'd have taped it.  The next photo (from Lisa) is of this trio (the three most left persons on the stage).
 
 
Now, here comes the news that really gives me mixed emotions. 
I love that Skyler is following his dream and desire, going on to grad school and furthering his education ..., I should stop there, because that is really great,
..., but it's so far away! 
They will be heading out to the University of Oklahoma sometime the middle of next month. They are looking forward to it with great excitement. 
My excitement is wavering - sometimes I'm very excited for them and other times I get overpowered with selfish feelings and wish they could be closer.  I guess those are the times when I will "lean not unto mine own understanding, but trust in the Lord".  I am so grateful for the Lord, and that He allows us, even invites us, to lean on Him!
 
Lucky for us they are here in Royal and Moses Lake visiting for the week.  We'll post pictures sometime this week when we get them (I did bring my camera home).
 
We know Skyler will do great with his ongoing schooling, and are proud of his accomplishments thus far.  Oh, I'd better mention - he got an award at their Chemistry dpt luncheon for most Outstanding Overall Performance.  There were a couple other awards given and the professors had a hard time choosing who to give those to, but when it came to this award, there was no question who should receive it.  (just a little Proud Parent Moment!)
 

No comments: