Friday, April 16, 2010

WOW what a day!

We thought we had an easy day today - no appointment until 2:00, so we took our first shuttle ride to the grocery store. We sure appreciate the shuttle service because we are unfamiliar with the area and are not big city drivers. We are happy to be getting to know the area better and will eventually venture out a bit more on our own. We shopped at Safeway - a store we are familiar with, except this store is set up very different than any other grocery store we've been in. We walked up and down most of the isles and then had extra time so we decided to walk the parking lot. I know what you must be thinking - "Wow! The excitement!" Well, it was a sunny morning and it really was a nice walk around the lot, soaking in the sun and great weather. We returned to the apartment and had some time before our 2:00 appointment.

The easy part of the day was really over at 2:00 when we entered the room for this appointment. :)
We got inundated with information. It was info we needed to know, but there was a lot of it. It included:
  1. Replacing the bandage over the Hickman site. I watched and learned, and I think what I read makes a bit more sense now that I have seen it done. The bandage Terry had on was different than what he now has, and what he now has is exactly what I will be replacing, once a week. That's not too bad, especially since I have written instructions and a few pencil sketches to show me exactly what to do in case I forget.
  2. Next, the nurse flushed one line as I watched, step by step, then I followed her instruction and example and flushed the other line. At least there are no needles and I'm not going into his skin. I will now flush both lines, by myself, daily, except on blood draw days when they will do it there. Luckily I have written instructions for this too.
  3. We picked up his meds. Okay, we now own a drug store!!!!! We have a grocery bag full of meds and two pages of meds instructions (how much to take and when) and dozens of pages of regular medical information that comes with each bottle of med. He already has three different meds he is taking and now has a dozen others to his list. It's a tricky schedule to keep, but we hope we have it all figured out. We wrote notes on every day of our schedule, telling us what meds he starts or stops and what times he takes them.
This is only the beginning. On Monday we stop in for other supplies, like the bandages for his Hickman line, the pump and fluid, the saline and heparin syringes for flushing the lines, gloves, and ....
I suppose we would need a grocery cart if we got it all at once.

It was a big information day for us and we are glad that it was our only thing on the schedule today. The schedule is getting a bit more tricky as we try to fit all the meds in and get to where we need to be, even with those meds. I am so glad that I kept a planner all these years. I think it is helping me organize this mess of confusion.

Speaking of confusion. Here's a funny thought. When Terry was in getting his Immune Globulin infusion we could hear the receptionist answering the phone. We heard him say several times something like this; "Infusion, this is Joe!" (or John, or whatever his name was). Then one time I had to laugh a bit because it sounded like he said "Confusion, this is Joe!" I guess he was helping me prepare for this big day! :) Okay, maybe not, but it was kinda funny...to me! I guess you had to be there! :)

Have a great night!

PS - Terry is doing great. No pain meds needed after his surgery (the Hickman line placement yesterday). He has them to fall back on, but hasn't needed them. YEAH!

OH! Another PS - THANK YOU! for your letters and packages. We are truly blessed to have such awesome neighbors and friends! We are feeling your love and concern and the effects of your prayers. Thank You!

3 comments:

Katie said...

So glad you were able to enjoy some sunshine over there too! It really is beautiful when the sun is shining on the west side. I always loved all of the flowers. I don't think you were weird at all for walking the parking lot...it's refreshing after being in small spaces and hospitals! We know the feeling :) Also, I really loved QFC for grocery shopping at U-Village...also if your shuttle could take you over to Metropolitan Market (near Ronald McDonald House by Childrens), it's a fun but spendy store. Great deli there (my fav: turkey dinner meal) and they have a really cute kitchen/gift section in the back to browse around in.

Have a wonderful weekend. Praying for the 21st to go smoothly for you all and know that you're in our thoughts :)

the Jenks said...

I didn't get a chance to visit with you on Sunday (I always have to run off to primary) but I wanted you to know that we are also praying for you. You are an inspiration and we feel you and your fmaily are a blessing to our family.
Things seem to be going well at your house. I stopped in while dropping BrittanyJo off after the softball game Thursday. I think she is doing better than she was a few weeks ago.

Ellen said...

WOW What a day but the sun was wonderful here too and I know how good it felt because I am cold so much and it really felt good to me. I am not at all surprised, Elaine, at how you can schedule all the events happening in your life because you have done that as long as I have known you. It is a complete miracle to me how you do all that you do, and I am so thankful that you are blessing the lives of our family. I too am grateful for a Heavenly Father who is always with us if we are worthy and know he is totally aware of what is going on with each of us. May he bless you during this journey. Mom had a good appointment this week, and I am so grateful for Shawna's help because we were tied up with a funeral. Thanks again to both of you for being such a wonderful example of "everything virtuous, lovely, of good report and praiseworthy." I love you both.