Monday, January 23, 2012

A Grateful Heart

The daily posts came to a halt last week because there were just too many other things taking up space in my mind. I was still aware of many many reasons to be grateful, but did not take the time to concentrate on posting them. Those reading the blog may not have missed them, but honestly, I did. I kept thinking about what my grateful heart would post about for the passing day, and each day had something I could have posted. My words weren't coming out very well, and the days were so filled that I decided to omit the posting part of the process. However, I am ready to play catch up.

Our weather has been quite beautiful at times and yet so cold and wet we didn't want to be outside traveling in it and we were very concerned for all who were traveling to come to the viewing and the funeral. So far our travels have been done in safety and we have heard that others have traveled safely. We are grateful for that and pray that it continues to be the same for those traveling home today.

We also worried about the conditions at the cemetery. It is so hard to want to stand out in the snow, the wind, the cold, the freezing rain, the fog, - we have had it all! Our hearts are so grateful that the wind was still, the sun was trying to shine and the temperature was at it's best. It may not have been ideal, but it was wonderful to me.

I did not get any photos of the funeral, but if I receive any in the future I'll post them here. I also plan to post the Life Sketch. We were so pleased with everything - the funeral home, the care and concern from friends, the care givers, the family gathering, the food & meals, the kindness of so many, the services, the love and comfort from above, and the list goes on. Compassion was blooming as if it were the first crocus in a snow laden garden.
THANK YOU all for everything!

We will miss the opportunity to see family daily but we look forward to the next gathering. We will especially miss the opportunity to see Mother/Grandma/Great Grandmother Idris daily - it hurts already - but we look forward to that next gathering as well. We missed Dad/Grandpa/Great Grandpa Keith when he left this mortal world. His departure left us with a bit of an empty feeling too.
I was going to write that now we have a complete empty feeling, but it just isn't quite true. There is surely an empty feeling, but it is not a complete loss. We are so grateful that FAMILIES CAN BE TOGETHER FOREVER through Heavenly Father's plan. Hope and Love fills that empty spot.

There has been a different feeling in their house as we have gathered the last few days. It will mend itself in time and life will carry on. We will learn to adapt to the new conditions and we will continue to love our family.

We have a few projects on our To Do lists and we look forward to those being started and completed - these projects will act as a sort of vessel for precious memories and a visual of our family heritage, and they will help fill those holes in our hearts. My heart is grateful for those things that remain to help us along our way, but is even more grateful for the time we spent together for the past 32 years - and the past 54 1/2 years for Terry.

Among the things we have learned from Terry's wonderful parents is that we can do hard things. We are survivors. All is well - My heart is grateful for that peaceful feeling that fills our heart and soul. And so ... we carry on ... we press forward ... we hold tightly, with both hands, to the iron rod - the word of God - 'twill safely guide us through.

1 comment:

Jason and Kristi Ann said...

So beautifully said, Aunt Elaine! Thank you for posting Uncle Terry's remarks at Gma's funeral. I am printing them and adding them to my book as well as those for my children. He did a beautiful job summing up her wonderful qualities. I have been missing her a lot lately...all year long, really...but hanging my flag out in memory of her love for it and teaching my children patriotic songs in memory of her love for both country and music. What an amazing woman! Thank you for all you have done to help us have a written history of both her and Gpa!