Monday, June 16, 2014

Father's Day

We had a nice Father's Day yesterday ...

Thomas & Dana and Michael & Tawnee and grandchildren came for lunch and a visit.  We did enjoy our visit, and lunch was wonderful too.

Last week I asked Terry what he might like to eat for Father's Day meal and of course he said whatever I wanted to do would be fine.  I encouraged him to help me decide on something that he might like since I know his taste buds don't work very well (due to meds).  So after some thought he shared his meal plan with me, and this is what it was -

meatloaf in cupcake tins
mashed potatoes (with butter and sour cream)
creamed carrots
grape salad

 



I mixed up the meat loaf ingredients and prepared the carrots and grape salad on Saturday, so Sunday was pretty easy just putting the meat in the pans and cooking them and peeling the potatoes and cooking them, and then warming the carrots.   The girls brought their husbands favorite or chosen desserts and we had a lovely meal.  Michael chose a graham cracker pudding dessert (don't know the name of it) and Thomas chose brownies.  Yum!


It is always fun to be with family.



And, for me,  it's always fun to set a table with the mismatch china and stemware. 
I purchased nothing new for this meal and tablescape.  I had everything already, though some of the items had not been used before. 


 

I chose the table cloth from my limited supply and then used some linen napkins that I had purchased a while ago but never used.
I set the plates on and then chose the stemware to go with them.  I was trying to keep it masculine so I stayed away from any pink and purple, and I tried to use plates without flowers.  I did make an exception with my plate ..., it did have a pink flower in the center of a grey/blue edge. 



I loved using the colored bottles for centerpieces, and tried to keep those colors in the same hue of the stemware I had chosen.  Everything was earth tone and I was pleased with the final results, especially since it wasn't pre-planned.

 


I thought I was done, but then remembered I had purchased some Chick-o-Sticks for something - maybe it was for Easter, but I forgot to use them, so knowing that they have been among Terry's favorite candy in the past, I got them out and put one at each of the plates.



It seemed then that my table was complete, and I liked the look I had created, but it was all for not until family came to be with us and Terry sat at the table ..., and then it was beautiful.






No comments: