Thursday, December 8, 2011

Harvest is Complete

It's a Celebration!
I love it when our harvest is complete before Thanksgiving - it just feels more like Thanksgiving (and I missed it this year).

We got a late start with the harvest this year ... mostly due to the weather not drying the crop out fast enough. However, we are grateful that the weather remained as good as it has been this winter, allowing us to finally get the corn out of the field. We didn't want to see snow or rain, and even fog would deter us. We didn't get much of it, and we are grateful for that. Maybe now we can say "Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow!" Actually we see that others have corn still in the field, so maybe we'll just let it snow ... later.

In years past we have celebrated the end of harvest with a harvest dinner. In fact, we celebrated this year on Feb. 14th with an end of harvest dinner ... end of last year's crop. So, we've done a bit better with this years crop ... at least it's in the same year, and it is before Christmas. Not sure if we'll have a harvest dinner anytime soon ... maybe during the Christmas break. We'll see!

I'm feeling kinda slow and not prepared for Christmas like I wish I was at this point, so being able to concentrate on that more now will be a great blessing.
(I should have taken my own picture of our own harvest, but I didn't do that, and it's too late now. I grabbed this one from google.)

No comments: