Monday, May 5, 2014

Another Medical Adventure

We went to Wenatchee this morning for the first of the five Vidaza infusions this week.  Terry began chilling again on our way there and was still trembling when we arrived.  I am so sorry that this happens to him but I was glad it happened so that they could see it.

These chills are not just chills that cause him to feel cold, they cause his whole body to shake and tremble making it easily noticeable, so the receptionists and nurses quickly went to work to help however they could.

As we sat in the infusion room I had the thought that it's going to be a good day if we can get this figured out. We will be here every day this week for Vidaza infusion, so they can keep an eye on him. I liked that!

One nurse contacted Dr. Smith, who is in Moses Lake on Monday's and she wanted Terry to be seen by a doctor here, so we saw Dr. Tucker.  After visiting with him for a few minutes we learned that he wanted us to go to the hospital for twice a day antibiotic infusions. We tried to talk him into letting me infuse at home, but he wasn't thrilled about that idea and didn't want to agree to it.  I suggested that we could come to the clinic every morning for the morning infusion where they could get his vitals and blood draws and check him however they felt necessary and then I could give the evening infusion at home.  We assured him that I have been doing infusions at home, even up to 5 times a day, but he still thought I might kill him and didn't want to agree to it.  Really!  He suggested that if we were okay with him dying on our watch we could do that.  Oh Bother!    Just to assure you - this is not a life or death situation here!   But we did agree to go to the hospital, because yes we do want him around for BrittanyJo's upcoming graduation, and we didn't want to feel anymore feelings of guilt or inadequacy.  He does seem to be a fine doctor though - I think Dr. Smith told Dr. Tucker that he was going to have to lay it on thick and strong if he was going to get us to agree to hospitalization ..., and so he did! 

Terry will no longer receive Vidaza this week and is presently in a room at the hospital until this infection is cleared up.  So much for the good day I was feeling when our favorite nurses were caring for him. 

We were sent to the world of waiting again, where it seems everything is done in slow and hardly steady motion.  It seems to take hours to get anything done in a hospital, unless it's vitals and then that is too often.   Oops! I'm complaining a bit, aren't I?

Well, I had to leave Terry early this afternoon so I could fulfill some assignments we had at home - we really thought we'd only be a few hours this morning so we had promises to keep.  I left about 12:15,  just after the hospital doctor finished up and just as the lab assistant came in to take his blood. 

I talked with him this evening and he is doing fine - but I already knew that didn't I?

He has had a CT scan and a couple bags of antibiotic. 

Please remember that he is fine and that there is no need to worry.  I hesitated to share this info, especially since I know it would make Terry a bit uncomfortable, but decided that it was the right thing to do since I have promised to share our medical life with you, and if I also let you know that we are all doing fine and we are not in need of anything at the moment.  However, we would never turn down a faithful prayer. 

Thank you!
I'll keep you posted!
Love to all ...

image from here

3 comments:

Ellen said...

We will keep praying for all of you but especially for Terry and the Drs. And nurses who work with and care for him. Love you all.

The Stanley's said...

Prayers here!

Louise said...

As I looked at Terry on Sunday, I couldn't help but think what an inspiration of faith and strength he is. I pray the antibiotic will put him back on the path to better health.