Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Concerning Terry ...

We had a visit with the doctor yesterday.  We were eager to share facts about his week with her and to hear the results of the lab work.  We thought for sure his reds were low, and probably his platelets too, and that he would get a transfusion of each.  We know his whites are low and he still suffers from some infection that is attacking his body.

We were surprised to find that the reds were not bad for him (RBC = 2.89 and HCT = 27.5), so he did not need a transfusion of reds.  The whites were very low (WBC = 0.5 and ANC = 0.1 [can't get much lower than that]), but as usual, nothing can be done there.  Platelets were also very low (7).  So we did stay to receive some platelets.

This last week has been filled with chills and fevers a couple times every day and evening until Sunday.  He also added throwing up to his symptoms.  Sunday and Monday seemed to be free of of fever and chills, but he was still very weak.  Monday evening he began to feel some aching and swelling in his cheek/jaw area just in front of and below the ears.  Tuesday morning it was worse.  He felt like he had mumps.  This morning it is more swollen and hurts to eat and talk, and is tender to touch. 

The doctor seemed to think that this swelling could be good news, as the body is trying to fix the sinus problem. (It's draining from the sinuses.)  That was a strange way to look at it from my point of view, but I'll take good news if it truly is good news.

The not so good news was the fact that Terry's counts are not improving.  The MDS is causing the counts to remain low, and the fact of the matter is that a body cannot live with low platelets and infection for an extended period of time. 

The hope is still that the graft verses host or graft verses disease kicks in.  She said that it could happen anytime from 3 weeks to 3 months after the immune suppressants are stopped, and they were stopped about 3 weeks ago.   I'm hanging on to that hope and I'm praying like crazy that we see some sort of turnaround and that things begin to improve. 

During my weak moments I try to recall the blessing our bishop gave Terry last fall.  The few words that I hang on to from that blessing are "that this miracle can take place".   I need a miracle!   I'm afraid my problem right now is that I want this miracle right now! 

So, I add to my prayers, as I have done many times before -  I pray for peace.

As I was sitting in the infusion room yesterday I tried to recall my prayers and if I had felt any real answers to them.  I couldn't recall specific times that I had heard or felt a specific answer, but my mind immediately received an answer telling me that He promises to be with me.  That is what I need.  I need my Saviors love and I need Him every hour!

And, I'm grateful for a Father in Heaven who loves us and hears and answers our prayers, even on His own time and in His own way.  He can make me strong.