Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Hospital Day 3

I got in bed without posting and had to get right back up to accomplish this task today.  So I hope this makes sense. 

I guess it was a good thing I couldn't call Terry yesterday evening because he was in no condition to talk to me.  He had an infusion of platelets yesterday afternoon and then in the early evening had a fever and another trembling chill and was throwing up. That isn't better!  I will have to admit that we should be glad that we chose to go to the hospital and not do this at home, especially since I was in ML (thinking he was doing well) last night and there would have been no one at home to help care for him.  I'm sorry that he is in the hospital because it's never comfortable, but I am pleased to have someone there to care for him when I cannot be - and we have some busy days this week.    

Today's plans include an additional IV antibiotic and a red cell transfusion (HCT is 18) which he was getting when I left at about 1:50pm.

Dr. Smith came to see him this morning for a couple minutes and made the comment that he had to have no fever for 3 days before he could go home, so that is somewhat discouraging since he did have a fever last night and I heard that he may have had a low grade fever this morning.

I arrived about 8:45am and wasn't there for Dr. Smith's visit but I was there when Dr. Miller (Dave) came in and asked Terry how he was doing and Terry responded saying that he felt like he needs help.  He still doesn't feel very well, has no energy to get up and do much walking and he sleeps as much as possible, day and night.  I thought he would get restless and bored and tired of watching TV.  Well, he hasn't had the TV on since he has been there and he has only read part of an article in the Ensign.  He rests and he sleeps!  And he needs it!

Dr. Miller assured us that though they are waiting for tests to return, they are giving him the correct meds at this point - one IV med takes care of MRSA, another takes care of everything else, so he is covered that way. They are still obviously concerned about the sinuses and have tested for fungal infections.  We don't know what infection is present, but we do know that there is one.  It is common that even 50 percent of the time they are unable to locate the type of infection, but they are still able to treat and fix the problem.  They are also giving oral meds and nasal sprays and the blood products to help combat whatever it is that is causing the problem.

I had to leave early again this afternoon to take BrittanyJo to Kennewick to pick up her prom dress and some hiking shoes.  We had a bit of a run around, but we got them both.  I have an insurance meeting in ML tomorrow morning before I can go back over to see him.  I hope things will be looking better by that time, but I will probably miss the doctor coming in to visit.  Oh Bother!  

We are taking it one day at a time ..., because it just can't be done any other way.  At least I've never known it to be a possibility.  If you have a trick that takes care of more than one day at a time please let me know.  :)

have a good night!


1 comment:

Louise said...

I've found that one day at a time is the best way, too stressful to try more! We're keeping our fingers and toes crossed and our prayers active on Terrys behalf. Hoping for a better day today.