Saturday, November 29, 2014

Thanksgiving Day 2014

Thanksgiving Day was a nice day with family here.  We had Anthony, BJo (who came home Friday night last week), and Chase (came home Wednesday), and Brandon, Thomas and Michael with their families = 16 people.   Everyone helped with the food preparation and it was a delicious meal. We had a relaxing day, (to some it was almost to the point of boredom at times) but we were together and I loved it.

A highlight for the day was getting to talk to our missionary.  Ya!  This year in Connor's mission the missionaries being released before Christmas were allowed to call home on Thanksgiving.  :)  This was certainly a tender mercy for him and for us.   The Lord is watching over us and taking care of some of the little things that make such a big difference to us.  Connor will be home in 2 1/2 weeks! :)  A great Christmas gift!

I keep finding it hard to remember to take photos of family when we are together, and I'm blaming it on the fact that being together just makes me so happy that I forget to take a photo now and again. However, I can usually remember to take a picure of the tables since it's just the last step of preparation, so here are a few photos that help document part of our day.

The tables:


I had an idea a couple months ago ...
I thought these figurines would make a great Thanksgiving tablescape so I did some searching on ebay for a few of these things.  Most were very inexpensive, but this happened to cost more than any other set because it is so beautiful and a bit more delicate.  It is my favorite set!


I thought I would pair these things with some greenery, but I got rid of all my greenery at a yard sale this year and I hadn't purchased any to replace it, so I had to come up with a different idea.  I just started looking through what I had and came up with this.  It worked!

I had enough to put two sets of figurines on each table and this smaller set was on the back side of my favorite set shown above.


I didn't do a very good job of centering that photo did I?  I was kinda hurrying when I took these photos and it is really quite noticeable. OOOPS!

I loved the set of the older couple gathering their crops.  I loved the corn and the basket of potatoes they had gathered.  Whether gathering for a feast or for winter storage it fits the holiday beautifully.  I am grateful for the gardens we have in the area that provide such wonderful meals for us and for neighbors and friends that gather their food to share with others.  We have been the recipients of such beautiful bounty.



Another favorite was of this couple who had a goose and a chicken at their side.  They seem so thankful for their bounteous blessings of food and of providing for themselves.  I am grateful for a husband who has provided for us so well over the past 34+ years.  We have much to be grateful for.



Auger, Akleigh, and Elsie helped set the tables.  They seemed to enjoy every minute of it.  It created a beautiful setting.  I am partial to it partly because the table cloths are the cloths we used at our reception in February 1980.  I have had them sitting in my hope chest all these years and wanted to use them again.  It seemed that this year they were the perfect addition to the look I was trying to create.  My heart loved the look and feel of the day!  (even if some of the colors did clash a bit)

I saw that Chase took a photo of the buffet table that we had in the kitchen.  After bringing out so many other dishes to wash I decided to be frugal with my dish washing time and just serve the food out of the pots and pans they were prepared in.  Ug!  Sorry!   But, there were no complaints!  :)



Everyone helped make the food and it was very yummy stuff.  We have some great cooks in the family.  Chase also took this photo, and then apologized to me.




One last photo for the day - 
Elsie loved to help push her grandpa wherever he needed to go.


Thanksgiving is now in the past and we look forward to the wonderful Christmas season ahead. 
May our hearts turn to Him, our Savior, Jesus Christ
at this most wonderful time of year
and remain with us forever.



It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year Christmas Sign
found here




2 comments:

Ellen said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you or alway sharing. Love you all so much!

Becky Noftle said...

I can't believe you still had those tablecloths from your wedding reception, that is so special! Glad so many of you were together at thanksgiving.