Thursday, February 16, 2012

Changed Their Minds Again!

Several titles could be used here - "My Bad!" is one of them. The kids were talking about "party foul" the other day when a cupcake tipped over, and we think this could be a "medical foul".

We do know that just because we are told one thing, it doesn't mean that is what is really going to happen. We seem to experience this a lot! Therefore, you do too! Sorry!

Terry got a call yesterday and learned that we are not going to SCCA again this year for a transplant as originally expected. During their meeting Wednesday they decided to be cautious and take a different route.

As Terry was talking to the doctor I could hear the excitement in her voice through the phone, but couldn't hear what she was saying. I could hear Terry - and he was saying how he liked this plan better, and I thought I could sense a bit of relief and tell that he was pleased.

Terry will begin a new chemo treatment next week (Thursday - from 8am to 6pm if things go well) and have one once a week for 7 or 8 weeks. The doctor wants to do these in Wenatchee, and we readily agree. We don't know much about this drug (Ofatumumab) and it's side affects, but at this point we are feeling good about this route.

We had such a hard time thinking that we were going back for a second transplant...even wondering if we would do it right now. My concern was that this was our last opportunity, which even seemed like our last hope, and I wasn't excited about giving up on that last hope. I wasn't convinced it was even going to work at this point and yet knew that I would do whatever "felt" right.

So, I am relieved to know that we can live at home, but I am sorry for Terry, knowing that it will surely involve some discomfort and unpleasant, possibly even miserable days.

I just need to say (again) that I am ever grateful for the peace that comes from above. I love my Heavenly Father and our Savior Jesus Christ. They are where I turn for peace. Sometimes I wonder if Heavenly Father ever gets frustrated with me and wonders why I can't handle things better, but then I remember that He knows me and He is aware of my short comings and He wants to help me through them...and He does help me through them.

1 comment:

Louise said...

Oh, that does sound better Elaine. Bless those Drs. for giving it a second (and third) look.