Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Christmas with Family

We had our family Christmas gathering on Sunday since that was the last day everyone would be here together.  It felt a bit strange, but it was still a very nice celebration of love. 

This was the first time since the summer of 2003 that our children had all been gathered together at the same time.  Some were meeting family members for the first time (those sweet little grandchildren that have joined our family in the last few years).    All were saying goodbye to a wonderful part of our lives and trying to move forward in faith.  We did find reason to smile and be happy together, even in our time of sorrow. 





We had people everywhere, and everywhere people were enjoying each others company.  We gave gifts to each other and opened them with excitement - grateful to have this joyful reason to celebrate.





I felt a little out of sorts and didn't accomplish my plan the way I had originally thought, but it was still a good celebration.  In my mind I had given this holiday a theme - REMEMBER.  I was hoping to help my children remember their father, their family, their love for each other.  We chose gifts that would hopefully mean something special and connect them to their father, and at the same time help them also REMEMBER our Savior. 


I added a message that would hopefully help them REMEMBER.  

 
The grandchildren each received a nativity globe.


I wanted each to remember that HE (Christ) IS THE GIFT!  He is the reason we celebrate life.  He is the one we look to for peace and comfort and for guidance and direction in life.  Always REMEMBER Him.

(We also gave each married family a set of Power Tales books like we read together when our children were home and growing up together.  Remembering our time together.) 

Willow Tree seemed the perfect gift this season because of the family set that Terry gave me several years ago (seen at the funeral), 


and the couple he gave me another year,


and the wise men he gave me a few years ago.  


Terry didn't always give material gifts, but when he did they meant something very special.  Each of these touches my heart deeply and makes me happy when I see them.  Each was a surprise and a gift he came up with on his own.  Awesome huh!


FYI - When Terry gave me the figurine of the couple standing together he told me that he had chosen that one because it represented how fast we slow dance together.  It's so true ..., when we did dance, we did SLOW dance.   I love his interpretation of it and cherish it.  It is so fun!

As I was decorating for Christmas I saw and read the card that came with the figurine and my heart exploded, tears immediately began to flow, and I told Terry (who was sitting on the sofa at the time) that that piece meant much more to me now than it had previously (and it had always meant a lot to me).  When I explained why, his heart then began to overflow and tears began to fall. We do share something special.  I have wonderful memories and many material things that will remind me of that special relationship we shared.


PROMISE
Hold dear the promise of love
 
 
We have been promised to each other, and with the Saviors promise we will be reunited ... together forever.  Our relationship will not end.  I can hardly wait to see him again, but I will endure and patiently wait for that time, on the Lord's time, so that those blessings will be mine/ours.  I will remind myself over and over that I CAN DO HARD THINGS. 
 
My father gave me a beautiful blessing while he was here and I will use that blessing to find courage and strength to carry on and live worthy of this eternal promise.  I am sure I will crumble at times, but I hope to pick myself back up and carry on in faith and trust in the Lord.  I know that the Lord will walk with me every step of the way if I stay close to Him, and I am also aware that there will be times that He will carry me.  I am so grateful that we have a loving Father in Heaven and a Savior, Redeemer, Brother and Friend.  HE IS THE GIFT!



3 comments:

Becky Noftle said...

I should have read this blog this Morning, I needed the perspective it gave me after a day spent so busily doing "things". Thank you, tomorrow I will be better.

Ellen said...

Such an inspiration and treat to savor the words you pen. I love you so much and am so grateful that Terry made you my sister....yes, we can do hard things and sometimes it brakes a lot of us helping each other to do the HARD things. I am your cheerleader!

Ellen said...

I meant it takes but I'm not sure how to edit and correct.