Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!

Why in the world
does the world
celebrate mothers?

Or, why in the world
does the world
honor them so much?

And, why in the world
does the world
devote them a Sunday?

It's because without them,
the world
wouldn't amount to much.

You see, the world,
without mothers
is desolate.

The beautiful earth
where we live
wouldn't be.

It takes moms
to give life
and preserve it,

To make it worth living
through time
and eternity.

Without moms
the world
and all in it

Would no doubt
completely
fall apart.

For if the world
was compared
to a body,

Then mothers
are definitely
the heart.
(Mother's Day poem Terry wrote in 1993)

I miss living close to my mother, my children wish to live closer to her, but we still enjoy our time together, whether short or long. We have a stash of wonderful memories that we enjoy adding to when we are together. Our hearts are drawn to her, no matter where we are. She is very much a part of us even though there are miles between us. "What we have once enjoyed we can never lose. All that we love becomes a part of us." Helen Keller

Much has been posted of my mother this week, but I must add something about Terry's mother. She has raised a son that has become my best friend and eternal companion. Even that alone would be reason to call her blessed. But that is not alone. She has been the best mother-in-law that one could hope for. She thinks I'm awesome, and treats me special. She gives encouragement, shows me love and respect and has always been there for us. She is always thinking of ways to serve us and make sure that we are comfortable and full. She loves her children, she loves me, and she loves my children. I love her and appreciate her goodness, her kindness, and her example to me.

Now, may I say, I just love being a mother. I fall short in many ways, but it is a wonderful blessing in life to have, and to be mothers. What an awesome plan our Heavenly Father has for us. And I love that His plan includes fathers and children, and eternity. I love my family!

At this date, and only if I counted correctly -
  • My mother is a mother of 8, grandmother of 36, and great grandmother of 9.
  • Terry's mother is a mother of 7, grandmother of 35, and great grandmother of 44 (there were 44 at the end of 2008, but I think a few have been added this year).
  • I am a mother of 9, grandmother of 2+, and I have several years to go before becoming a great grandmother. Still so much to learn!

No comments: