Wednesday, May 6, 2009

REFLECTIONS - My Mom

I remember the many hours of hard work my mom put into preserving food. I helped a bit, but I'm sure I learned it mostly from watching because she was always so fast and good at it. She liked to put the fruit in the jar so that it was laying just right to make it look pretty. I enjoy doing the same. I've often thought that it is almost like creating a masterpiece. Much like an artist might paint a picture then sit back and look at it and admire his/her work. I love to open my pantry and see the finished project lined up in the clear jars with the beautiful colors of peaches, pears, tomatoes, apricots, etc. It is a lot of work, but it feels and looks good, and tastes great. It also turns my heart back to my childhood days as I recall the rows of jars in our basement as I was growing up.
Something I do not do like she did is make bread. I wish I did, but it's just too hard on me to knead it, and I don't have a bread mixer. She would make a lot of bread and it was so delicious, which meant we would want to eat it, and it wouldn't last long, so she would have to make more. I do remember dad helping her too.

No comments: