Saturday, May 9, 2009

REFLECTIONS - My Mom

Mom has always enjoyed God's creations.

She and dad were always working on the yard. She had a lot of iris flowers in many assorted colors and other beautiful flowers and trees. When I see iris' I think of my mother. There was always a big veggie and fruit garden too. I remember lemon cucumbers that were unique and delicious, and raspberries that were the highlight of a family reunion we had at the house one year and the elderly gentleman really enjoyed picking and eating those berries. There was beauty all around our yard in flowers, trees, dirt mounds, lawn paths, and just the arrangement of it all.

She enjoyed animals on the farm. We had several different kinds of animals, but it seems to me that mom was especially fond of chickens and other types of birds/fowl. We had several different kinds of chickens. Some for eggs, some for meat, some for beauty and enjoyment. We also had ducks and geese. It was fun to see the mommas wandering the yard with their trail of chicks behind them. We also had guinni hens, (I don't know how to spell guinni) and it seems that I remember the elderly gentlemen, at that reunion I mentioned earlier, finding enjoyment in shooting at those ugly things. (oops, did I say ugly?)

After mom and dad moved to Longview they could no longer have the farm animals, but they did get some chickens and enjoyed them for several years. Now they too are gone, but mom puts out seeds for the birds and squirrels, and I think we've even seen a hummingbird or two. And the yard is still beautiful.

All of this enjoyment was not hers alone, but it was shared with my dad. They work together to create a place of beauty and enjoyment. They have always worked together, and they continue to do so today.

No comments: