Saturday, February 1, 2014

Early Saturday ... Avoided Catastrophe

My sister sent me this photo wondering if we had seen the Space Needle like this. 
 
From Sea to shining Sea(hawks)! 

Credit: Bennett Smith (a Seattleite living in NJ!)
From Sea to shining Sea(hawks)!

Credit: Bennett Smith (a Seattleite living in NJ!)
 
 
We don't get out much at night and we have no view of it from our windows.  So, this morning I was curious and headed up the stairs to the roof to see what I could see.  Surely with the big game tomorrow it would be lit up, and I was curious to find out.
 
This is what I saw
 
 
Not quite as bright - the blue was not very noticeable.  Maybe from a different view point or time of night it would be better, but this was still fun to see.
 
 
Now, about the avoided catastrophe ...
 
Of course it was dark when I stepped out into the garden area.  I only stepped out a couple steps for the picture and was going to go back in.  But I felt like I might be a little unsteady and taking night shots are a bit blurry, especially if not steady, so I walked over to the far edge where there is a view finder to rest my camera on and take a better photo.
 
Half way there I walked around a planter (on my right) and my left foot came down on what felt like a pipe or board on the floor.  I couldn't see very well, but looked down to see if I could tell what I stepped on so I could be careful when I came back.
 
OH MY!
 
There was no floor!  Just the joists!  
 
I had luckily stepped right on one joist right in the middle area of my foot so I was stable and upright.  ;)    Had I not stepped on that joist I would have gone down and it wouldn't have been pretty.  It was dark enough that I couldn't see how far down I would have gone, but I would guess at least a foot or so.  I could have broken a leg or arm or rib or ....  Not sure how I would have landed or caught myself.  Maybe I'd be passed out and still up there instead of here writing this. Maybe I'd be laying there squealing like the lady next door.  (okay, maybe that's not funny, and I don't mean it in a mean way toward her, but sometimes we just have to smile at our misfortunes...)   Luckily I did tell Terry where I was going, so I'm sure it wouldn't have been too long before he came looking, and then if he couldn't see ....   Oh Bother!
 
I couldn't believe they didn't have that roped off or signs to help us know what was going on.  I'm heading to the office today to kindly suggest an addition of rope, tape, and or signs, because some of us do go to the roof in the dark of the night or morning hours.
 
I feel blessed to be safe and sound!  I do believe that Someone is watching out for us!
 
 
Oh, I forgot to show you the flag on the wall at the lab check in station.
 
 
We have seen it there before, but I either haven't had my camera or there were just too many people in the way.  Yesterday I had a clear shot for about one minute and then it began to buzz with people again.  I didn't even notice the banner on the counter when I took the photo, but there were people standing there just to the left of this view so I couldn't have seen more of it even if I tried.
 
We check in for labs at that counter.  The nurse then comes through the door and calls our name when he/she is ready for us.  We go through those doors into a large room with several stations set up for blood draw.  Maybe I can get a photo of that some weekend when there aren't too many people in there. 
 
 
Well, I don't have any medical news.  Just some sights and sounds from Seattle. 
 
I'm not sure if I'll post tonight or tomorrow because there won't be any more medical news until Tuesday, unless something unforeseen happens.  We aren't planning on that ..., and I think I'll not go to the roof in the dark again for awhile.
 
 
 

1 comment:

Ellen said...

So thankful you weren't hurt. Just proves, once again, thar as we pray for our families daily, protection is granted and as I have stated in the past, I feel at such a loss to do anything else to help you. Thanks for posting the sites and sounds of Seattle....so fun! Have a blessed sabbath day tomorrow. Sending love from the Forrest! Ellen