Tuesday, January 20, 2015

How We Began


I woke this morning with thoughts of Terry on my mind.  This is not new, but I was definitely thinking about when we met and that I should write and share this series of events.  So here is the beginning of our story.


We met on a Saturday night, June 9th 1979, in Othello at a Young Adult Dance (young adult is beyond HS graduation, before and after missions a few years, one might say college age and unmarried). 

Terry asked me to dance …, we did, and then we visited for a few minutes.  Having just had an experience that made me want to distance myself from any boy, I was not interested and didn’t notice anything that would tell me that I should get to know this person better. 

The next night was a Stake Young Adult fireside in Othello (Stake is several wards together – I don’t know if there were maybe 6-7 at the time).   The meeting had just gotten over and I was sitting in the back area of the chapel.  Several people had left the chapel, but a few were standing up toward the front of the room visiting with each other.

I stood up to walk out and noticed this group of young adults.  I could only see the backs of the two or three boys, and could tell there were a couple girls in front of them, but couldn’t see who those boys were.  What I did see was a tall, slender, dark haired young man in a beautiful blue suit.   I did not know who he was, nor that he was the young man that I had met the previous night, but I did have the words “That is the man I’m going to marry” go through my heart and mind.
   
Wow!  Really?  How was I going to tell him that?  How would he know?  

I walked out of the chapel and was visiting with a friend at the refreshment area when this handsome boy in that beautiful blue suit was standing beside me asking me to go with him to the next Young Adult activity.   Well, maybe the Lord told him about me too!  

This was when I saw his face for the first time.  Oh, we met the night before, but I wasn’t looking and didn’t really see him, but tonight was different.  He was so handsome and I loved his smile and I was so anxious for our next meeting.  We didn’t really visit long this night, but my heart was attached already.

June 15th was the next activity he had invited me to, in Kennewick, and he came and picked me up.  I remember that another couple went with us.  I also remember that I took hold of Terry’s hand and didn’t want to let it go and we sat close together, never wanting to be separated.  Just a note: As a mother now I know that I would be so worried if my daughter had done what I did.  I would try to "knock some sense into her"  – “but you just met him”, “you’ve got to get to know him and go out with him several times before you get so close” and more of that type of concern.  But you see, I had been told that he would be my husband, so why not make the move to try to keep him around?   I already knew how important he was to me, so I held his hand and sat real close and didn’t let him out of my sight.  So much for distancing myself!  It was the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

I believe he must have known something too, because he held my hand with a tender touch, he made me feel special, and he kept asking me out.  Our notes/calendar show that we had 3 dates in June (and he was in the hospital for a few days with pneumonia which shortened our number of days to go on dates that month), 6 in July,  and it just kept getting better and better.  I loved seeing him and being with him, and I loved hearing his voice on the phone, always hating to say good-bye.  Even after we were married I loved hearing him on the phone though it didn’t happen very often until cell phones were introduced years later.

We enjoyed being together as often as we could, we met each other’s families and we made each other happy.  Terry never really asked me to marry him in the traditional way, but there seemed to be no doubt that we were going to get married.  Once he asked if we should get our names put on "one of those pretty little cards and envelopes" after he told me of an announcement he received from a missionary companion that was getting married.  He told me to "think about it".  

One night after a movie he asked, “What would you say if I asked you to marry me?”  My first thought was of course I’d say yes, but how was I going to come up with a clever way to respond, then he quickly finished up with, "well, just wait till I ask you!"  We laughed about that often.

Well, he never did really ask again, but one night at my house he asked me if I would like to go with him to Spokane to pick out a wedding ring.   Of course I agreed to that and we did - December 8th.

the rings

I continue to wear that ring with love, and now I also wear Terry's ring on my finger beside my ring, closest to my heart.  We set our wedding date for February 12th 1980 and life was good.

Terry and Elaine - engagement photo

I had found the man of my dreams and I was happier than I knew one could be. We were married for time and eternity in the Idaho Falls LDS Temple.  

12 February 1980, after wedding (didn't know the picture was being taken).
This is the beautiful blue suit I loved, but I love the man in it most!

After the ceremony I remained in my wedding dress and Terry in his suit, and we walked across the temple grounds to the hospital where his maternal grandparents were.  His grandpa was not well and was there, with his wife beside him.  

at the hospital after our wedding, with Terry's grandparents

I met these wonderful people for the first time, not realizing that it was also the last time we would see his grandfather.  Many were amazed to see someone in a wedding dress in the hospital, but it was an exciting and wonderful experience to share with those I love.  I have treasured that experience and held it close to my heart ever since. 

We left that Tuesday, from Idaho Falls and traveled to Anaheim for our honeymoon at Disney Land.  

one man cut these as he looked at us, no sketch first

We didn’t spend a lot of money, but we spent a lot of time and enjoyed being together. We were off to a great start.

souvenirs - Lady and Tramp

We had a reception to be home to on the 22nd of February but we took our time and enjoyed our new life together, getting home the following Wednesday evening, the 20th, where we learned that both sets of parents were very worried that we were not home a few days earlier.   I guess they thought we might take a four or five day honeymoon, but we had taken 9 days – and it was a most enjoyable time with no worries whatsoever.   I highly recommend it!  J

Ronald & Gelene Rodeback, Elaine & Terry Hebdon, Idris & Keith Hebdon

We had a unique relationship from the very beginning and we hated being apart.  Words just cannot describe how much I love this man.

Terry and Elaine 1981 - don't try to separate us!  

We have always remained close and he has always been my best friend.  We set up home beside his parents' home in a double-wide trailer he purchased from a neighbor.  It became our favorite place to be ..., HOME ..., because we were together.

Our first house

 I know this is a long post already, but I want to add one more thing.  This is something Terry wrote years ago - (Something he penned as he thought it and never went back to correct grammar or punctuation.  In its original state there are lines crossed out as he traded them for new words.)

"On a blessed Sunday evening not so very long ago, I first saw a girl I just had to get to know.
She was tall and looked so fair, nice, a pleasant site to see.  But then I had a problem! Could I get her to notice me?
Well time went on - not many days, when again my eyes met her gaze.  It was at a dance at which I met her.  The music played, my heart did purr.  
I was most content with myself that I hid behind a shelf and gave the drinks as kids came by.  Wetting a thirst as it was dry.
She came my way, what should I do.  Somehow I said may I dance with you.
She somehow was special to my mind.  Full of tenderness and very kind.
So after that it was my ambition that I might start a new tradition. Of her and me or us together that we twain would become better.
Now names with me aren't the best so I put my mind to test.  How can I remember her name divine? Well, I'll just ask a friend of mine.
He had it there on paper yellow.  May God bless this good fellow.
I read it then and it was fixed in my heart and on my lips.  
But now the task to see if she would consent to go with me.  
There was an event in Kennewick and"


That is where it stopped.  But we know that the story continues - and it's a good one.  I'll share parts of it as I feel prompted to as we continue on this journey through life.   

This writing is proof that Terry did feel something special for me and just like I wondered how I would let him know how I felt about him, he too wondered how he would let me know how he felt about me.  

A good friend of my dad's loved to tease me and asked me a few times if I would consider choosing his son instead of Terry.  I would always tell him that I was sure I had made the right choice and had no intention of changing my mind.

Terry and I were meant to be together! I am so grateful for every little event that took place in our lives, from the very beginning, that made it possible.  I am grateful for everyone that helped us each to become who we were (and are) and for our Savior and Father in Heaven and Their role in our lives.  




3 comments:

Ellen said...

Wow! I've heard parts if this but how fun it was to read it thus evening and to see the precious punctures attached. Thank you so much for sharing. Again, I send my love.

Ellen said...

I hate it when I don't proofread close enough. Thus should be this and punctures should be pictures.

Becky Noftle said...

I love this I need to make sure my parents, and michaels parents each write down the stories of their first meetings and courtship. I've written ours but would be interested to know michaels version!