Thursday, November 17, 2011

What You Want?

This is a book I own, mostly because I love the title.
"You Can Never Get Enough of What You Don't Need"
I read the first chapter, underlined a couple things and left it to sit on my shelf beside my computer. I didn't stop reading it because it wasn't good, but because it was enough for now, and because I really did buy it for the title ... and it is in my face, reminding me, every day. Maybe someday I'll pick it up and read another chapter.

Funny thing is that the second chapter is titled "Enough is Enough". My husband asks me on occasion, especially when I'm preparing for a wedding/reception or wanting to remodel something in the house, "When is enough enough?" I usually try hard not to respond, and just think something like, "this is my role and responsibility so just let me do it well," or "you take care of the farm, I'll take care of the decor!" Ocassionally I might say something like "we're almost there!"

This book is about "The Quest for Contentment." I must tell you that I do feel contentment ... in many ways. And these next two pictures will share why I feel contentment. These are the two things I underlined -

This first is a quote from Maria Von Trapp

The second is the last paragraph of the first chapter.


I believe that! And that belief is an awesome thing. It brings peace to my heart and soul. It does bring contentment and I am so grateful for it.

It is that same peace and contentment that comes when I see a sofa that would be perfect for the wedding I'm decorating for and I'm sure I could squeeze it into my bedroom after the wedding and it would look so good in there, and it is a great price, and it is perfect colors, and it would be delivered at no extra cost, and .... [sigh here!]
It is after I try to rationalize my way into purchasing something that I realize ... yes, enough is enough, and that sofa is more than enough, even if it is so awesome.
True story by the way! [smile here!] Sometimes I really have to work hard at it, but I do tell myself NO.

When we were at Seattle last year I had a cute little bowl sitting on the table with candy in it. When my sister came to visit she asked me about it. As I was starting to tell her when/where/why I got it, my husband quickly added; "It had a price tag on it so she thought that meant she had to buy it!" I think he might really believe that. [another smile!]

I really am a piece of work ... a work in progress ... and I am working on it ... progressing ... slowly but surely ....

I've recently found a quote online that I really like.


Image from I Am Momma Hear Me Roar

Okay, what was I grateful for today?
I am grateful that I decided to post something every day this month about what I am grateful for. Doing so really makes me happy! Being happy is what I want!


Image from Kidspace Stuff


And, I'm thankful for things! Yes, material things!
And for knowing when enough is enough... and having enough... and being content/happy.

I'm thankful for what matters most! Not always are they the things I'm posting about daily, but always I am grateful for those things that do matter most. (Each Sunday you'll find a "What Matters Most" post at mystuffroom.blogspot.com.)

For Gentle Reminders! Like my husband's endearing words, that book with the title in my face every day, and like this -


(Image from Second sister)


And there is at least one more thing I brought up in this post that I am grateful for, but am saving it for later. I've hinted today, but you'll just have to wait!

I'm all over the place today aren't I? You'd think this would have been the post about WORDS. I know ... there's too many of them here. (Hey, yesterday's A Grateful Heart post had very few words and we can always hope that tomorrow will be similar to that!)

I know it was supposed to be just one thing a day, but this one thing included so many. I am so thankful for understanding and patient people. (Long-suffering might be a good word there.) [more smiles!]

enough is enough!
Have a great day!

No comments: