Tuesday, January 7, 2014

T45

We felt like we had a full day today.  With the medications and hydrations schedule it actually seems like every day is a full day around here, but today we had three appointments on top of it all.

The timing of the appointments worked perfectly with the timing of infusions so there wasn't too much of a rush this morning.  They took more blood today than normal because they have a lot of testing to do to try to learn everything they can to make this transplant successful. 

Our team visit was informative today.  They have a plan of attack right now which includes a new daily drug infusion. This one must be done in the infusion room - not at home like the Ganciclovir.  Luckily the Ganciclovir is now administered just once a day instead of twice, so it's kind of a trade.

The new infusion is Azacitidine and will be given to fight the MDS a bit more because right now the MDS is too high.  Once the MDS percentage is lessened the donor cells will be able to attack more effectively to make the end results better.  Doctors may also choose to give a DLI (Donor Lymphocyte Infusion) in the near future. 

This news may not really sound like positive information but we were pleased that they have a plan and are working the plan.  When the doctor asked Terry what he thought about this news Terry responded with something like, "I'm a problems and solutions kinda guy so let's get going."  It seems like sometimes we hear about the problems and they talk about what might be done, but this news seemed more productive and it left us feeling almost an excitement for the upcoming changes so that we can get this problem solved, and move on to better things ahead. We are hopeful!

We purchased some stamps at the clinic gift shop so we could mail the cards we wrote the other day, and we mailed a package from the clinic shipping department. Then we were off to the UW Medical Center to see the ENT about Terry's sinuses. 

We had a little time before that appointment, and we were hungry, so we went to the cafeteria for lunch.  We had some Thai Chicken and Rice and Veggies.  It was yummy and it was filling. 

Dr. Davis suctioned Terry's sinuses and will do some testing to make sure he is prescribing the correct medication, but he said that things are looking really good as far as the healing goes.  So, we should be happy with that report too, but I wish we could clear this thing up once and for all.  Maybe after his testing is done we will find a better solution that will correct this problem soon.

I think we got back to the apartment around 3:00 and we started hydration and let Terry put his feet up.  Terry has been able to eat and drink a little more the last few days so he is able to cut back on the infusion, receiving half a liter now instead of a full liter.   We'll do this for a few days and hope that it can be cut out completely in a week or two.

It's probably good that this was a busy day for us because if not we would really wanted to travel home to be with the kids because school was cancelled today due to freezing rain. 

We heard a man and woman talking in the elevator today, sharing greetings with each other.  The man said that he was good today, but at the age of 90 every new day is a good day.  It was a pleasant thing to hear this morning, helping to make our day a good day too.

It has been a good day and we are pleased with things at this point even though the blood counts are not where we wish they would be at this time. 

Well, I'll be scrapbooking tonight so there will be no time nor need for puzzles today, but we put these together yesterday.

This first puzzle had 500 tiny pieces and was very fun to put together.  I could have an area just like this somewhere and love it.  :)

This next puzzle was also 500 pieces, but it was a trickier puzzle because the pieces could fit places they shouldn't be.  I learned that on the outside pieces so we knew we had to be careful as we worked on the center pieces.  It was challenging enough that we were glad that it didn't have more pieces and we were happy to get this one done.  Okay, I could have an area like this somewhere and love it too, but that just isn't gonna happen!

Well, maybe todays post makes up for the lack of info in yesterdays post???

Have a good night!

2 comments:

Louise said...

I love the aggressive attitude your doctors have, so grateful you are there for now. I've had the Thai chicken at the cafeteria too, its quite tasty as is a lot of their food! I don't understand why Jackson dislikes the food there, maybe its because he's been there too often?? Praying for those new meds to knock down the bad guys, have a good day!

Ellen said...

I'm praying for the same thing too, Louise. We went to the temple with Kristal, Luis and his oldest daughter who received her endowment. I love the new video! It was good to be in the temple and we even got our recommends renewed...it was a great night. Love you!