Saturday, November 16, 2013

A Little Red Vase and A Smile

Today was free of clinic visits but we filled it with other things. 

We had talked about going home for a day, but decided that driving in the rain in the dark was a bit tricky and then we heard that there was going to be a foot of snow on the pass and we did have much time, so we decided that we should stay in Seattle.

Then we got some cute photos of Elsie, celebrating her first birthday, and we wished we had made a different choice.   However, we are glad that we didn't have to drive anywhere in the dark, rain, or snow, and very grateful for the photos and video clips sent our way to help us feel a part of that event. 

Maybe you'd like to know how we filled our day ... well, we took a walk down the block. Actually, several blocks.  We came upon this along our way.


We wanted to get some fresh air and exercise and see some more sights and sounds of Seattle.  Seeing Terry Avenue was just a bonus for the day. We found a Goodwill, which was the reason for our walk in that direction, because I was hoping to find some vintage china plates.  We didn't find any, however I did get a goblet, an old pink glass, a sweet little butter knife, and a cute red vase.  Fun stuff.  The little vase is just like some I saw in the Shine, which is the little gift shop in the clinic.  They were such cute colors that I wanted one of each.  When I looked at the price I saw that they were $20.00 each so I carefully set it back down.  This one from Goodwill is the exact thing, but cost me 99 cents ..., pretty good huh!  There wasn't even a red one in the Shine, so I'm feeling pretty good.


They told me a story about the vases when I was looking at them in the Shine, so I checked online to see if I could find it, to share the story with you.  I found a sight here, just incase you are interested.  The short version of the story is that this company that makes the vases donates to those affected with cancer. They have so many great colors here, and will even take individual orders.  Do I feel guilty owning this cute little vase without making the donation to help those affected by cancer?  Nope!  I think I'm already doing that as it is, and I don't really think that 10 percent is enough for a little vase that costs that much.  However, I do thank the person who first purchased this little vase, and then gave it away so that I could get it for a dollar.  Love it!

I can't put any flowers in my little vase because we can have no live plants or cut flowers.  Those are the rules, and we will abide by them.  But it's red and cheery and it make me happy just looking at it.  Funny how that can happen. It is not a Christmas vase, but it makes me feel like it's my first Christmas décor for the apartment.  I can leave it up after Christmas and it will then be my first Valentine décor ...,  Happy Day!

After that stop we walked down another block and found an antique store - three stories filled with old furniture - chairs, sideboards, armoires, tables, and more of the same.  There were not very many little things in that store, mostly chairs and furniture pieces. It was a large store and very fun to look through, but we didn't purchase a thing. 

We walked back to the apartment and had lunch, then drove to Safeway for groceries.  We are trying to stock up for the next few weeks of lock down.  Not really lock down, but we aren't sure how Terry is going to be feeling next week with daily appointments and chemos, so this weekend was our last weekend before transplant and we needed to use it to prepare. 

Of course we are back at the apartment again, we've had our dinner and I'm doing laundry and cleaning, and taking a moment to send a post your way.

Hope your day was a good one!  We send our love!
see write ya  tomorrow ...


6 comments:

Brian and LeeAnn said...

Probably the most newsworthy comment on this post was..."we didn't purchase a thing" ;)
Hope you know I am just kidding. We love getting your blogs and keeping up on things.
miss ya

Elen said...

Sounds like a very rewarding day and I love the post of the street sign. The crosse street should have been Elaine Avenue. How fun would that be!? Glad you stayed put.....sounds like there has been a lot of snow. We have been getting it for a couple of days but just warm enough to not pile up. Thanks again for your faithful blogging. I resent a card thar returned along with another one. Hope they find you. Hugs to both of you....oh yes, I love Goodwill and the vase is so cute!

Ellen said...

I really do know how to spell my name. I think I end to go yo bed

Ellen said...

Man I am a ness. I need to go to bed!

Ellen said...

Man I am a ness. I need to go to bed!

The Stanley's said...

What a pretty vase. May your week be filled with great blessings. There are many prayers being offered here.