Friday, November 22, 2013

Hello Family and Friends

Friday - the day that everyone seems so excited have over.  It was the talk in the clinic today as I waited for Terry.  Many were happy that it is Friday, so they could move on to the rest of the weekend.

As I sit and write this I feel like joining them in their joy of Friday being almost over.  Terry has been feeling crummy all week, but this afternoon is the hardest.  He is chilling and throwing up and feeling awful.  He is in bed trying to be warm and as comfortable as possible in the condition he's in.

We received a call for him to check in at the hospital at 1:00 tomorrow.  The cells will probably be there around 4:00pm.  Hopefully that day will go better than this one. 

We got another call telling him he should not take his Cyclosporine medication tonight or tomorrow morning, and that he should come in for a blood draw tomorrow at 10:00am for a levels check to see how much he will take after that.  That is actually good news because we know that mediation really has been causing many undesirable symptoms.  His skin hurts to rub against it, he feels shaky and itchy and icky.  Too much cyclosporine - so now we'll get a better dosage for him.  It's kind of trial and error with this stuff sometimes.

TBI (Total Body Irradiation) is pretty hard on a body.  It's not so bad at the time of radiation, but it's a few hours later that it really attacks - or at least that is the case with Terry and the dose of radiation he had.  The attending nurse (a man) told me that Terry was a strong man and that he did very well. He seemed to be impressed with him.  I agree with him, Terry is a strong person and he has a high tolerance for pain, so when he does a little "complaining" I know that things are pretty bad.  Often times he doesn't even tell me how bad he is feeling, but I am learning that I can see it in his eyes ..., I'm learning how to "read" him.

I hope he gets feeling better soon, because he's feeling pretty crummy right now.
However, as awful as it is, we are glad to have each step in this process getting done.  We have been waiting long enough now, and are anxious for things to be happening ..., positive things!

Well, I guess that's our day!  We hope yours is a good one!
I think I'll go find a piece of chocolate!

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE
Linda Grayson, "The Pickwick Papers"
Forget love-- I'd rather fall in chocolate!!!
I never met a chocolate I didn't like. Deanna Troi in Star Trek: The Next Generation
Nobody knows the truffles I've seen!
Caramels are only a fad. Chocolate is a permanent thing Milton Snavely Hershey
In the beginning, the Lord created chocolate, and he saw that it was good. Then he
separated the light from the dark, and it was better.
Man cannot live on chocolate alone; but woman sure can.
Just a few words on chocolate I gleaned from the internet for you today! Praying the adverse side effects depart quickly, and that a smooth road back to good health will follow.

Shawna Scorup said...

I think you would be justified in spending all of your Safeway gift card on CHOCOLATE! Give Terry a pinky hug for me. May tomorrow bring the miracle we have all been praying for. Love to you both.

Tyler said...

Our prayers, our love, our thoughts are with you. May you feel peace through the journey and love when you need it most.
Always our love, Bryan and Sherri and family.

Ellen said...

I kept looking for tis post last night, but for some reason it didn't come through to me until now, so I am thankful to learn how yesterday was. Sounds like not so nice to Terry and I know that is hard for Elaine. Many prayers that today goes well and as already stated "the miracles we all have been praying for, will happen". Much love and many prayers from us to and for you!