Sunday, November 24, 2013

T1

Well, we woke up in the hospital this morning.  That's one of those "duh" things.  I don't say that complaining, it's just the first thing I thought as I began writing and decided to write what I was thinking.  Overall, things went well. 

I had more than just a chair this time, this was my bed -



Okay, now that we got the unimportant things out of the way, lets focus on the things that really matter.

The stem cells got started around 5:30 Saturday evening and didn't get finished until ..., well, we can't remember for sure, but around 11:30pm.  Terry had no adverse reaction to them, so we were pleased.

Sometime during the night we got word that Terry's red counts were low - 25 and the threshold is 26, so this morning they infused red blood cells, so with that and more fluids, they postponed our Sunday morning discharge until Sunday afternoon.  They are trying to flush those kidneys and keep him hydrated.  If we keep this up for long he is going to feel more like a water balloon.  Instructions are to give him hydration every day for a few days, so water balloon it is.

He is feeling strange - strange or goofy is the best way he can describe it right now.  It must be hard to tell what he is really feeling, but he knows it is not normal.  Just not well.  In addition to those goofy feelings he still has the pins and needles feeling and tender skin, but there has been no throwing up yesterday or today, so that's good.  Unfortunately he still has a headache, so that's not good.

Things are changing in his body and he can switch from one problem to it's opposite (like constipation to diarrhea or feeling no nausea to throwing up) in just a couple hours.  It's going to be a tricky week or two or ....


Good doctors and nurses help make a stay in the hospital more pleasant, and we feel like we got some great ones.  People are coming and going all throughout the day and night in the hospital.  We have seen so many new faces. However, one was a familiar face, our pharmacist came in to tell us about our new meds schedule and give us a new copy.  I am so happy to have that copy.  It's a three page list of meds and instructions for each and when they are scheduled throughout the day so they don't interact with each other or with foods we eat.  It's kinda tricky.

One doctor thanked Terry for being cooperative and agreeable. 
One male nurse saw us walking in the hall this morning and said hi to us.  He looked again and recognized Terry from having come in our room one time yesterday for a couple minutes to verify his blood product.  He then, once again, wished Terry a happy birthday, one day late.  The staff members are very pleasant and want to help make their patients happy.  They are succeeding with their good efforts. We are grateful for them.


I looked up and saw this board in our room, wishing Terry a Happy Birthday.  It was there when we came in yesterday and I just didn't think of taking a photo of it then.  The only thing that ever changed on it was the RN's name, and that wasn't always updated, so I am glad I saw it today so that I could get a photo of it and share it with you.



We did take a walk around the block this morning ..., well, the inside block .., the halls of 8 NE - that's what they call the wing of the hospital we were in.  We stayed inside, but the sun was shining nicely outside and we were able to view that from a few windows.  It was a slow walk, but when your reds are so low, where's the energy?   We would have walked longer, but the nurse met up with us and needed to take some vitals, so we had to go back to the room. 

Terry finished up the infusions and we were free to go.   We got home from the hospital at about 4:00pm. 

Terry is cold and icky and fatigued.  Oh Bother!  He tried to eat ..., succeeded with a little bit of applesauce but didn't want anything else.  He took a few meds, and has a few more left to take before the day is over.  He is resting, and I'm trying to be quiet.  So that means computer and puzzle.

I'm frustrated with this puzzle because it is missing some pieces.  I just don't know how many yet.  Puzzles with missing pieces are not worth much.  I'm gonna brand the box with "missing pieces" before I put it back so the next person won't get frustrated too.  I can't stop and put it back in the box without finishing it, believe me I've thought of it many times, but it's just not something I can do.  I've got to finish it quickly so I can put it away. 

Well, I think I've said enough today, so I'll stop here.  If I forgot something I'll post it later.


2 comments:

Louise said...

So grateful Terry has had the opportunity to celebrate this new" birthday", and pray he will feel 100% better as the weeks go by. I pray each day will look a little brighter and the load will be lighter. You are an awesome nurse Elaine, Terry is in good hands.

Ellen said...

So thankful things are going as well as they are. I agree 100 percent with everything Louise said. You are both beyond amazing and we continue to keep you in our prayers. I pray this will be a good day and that renewed energy,strength and health are just around the corner. Love you both so much!