Tuesday, November 26, 2013

T2 update - Hickman Line Cover

I can't believe I forgot this when I posted yesterday, but I'm so glad Terry remembered it this morning.

We were waiting for blood draw yesterday and Terry was sitting by and visiting with a man who was waiting for (possibly his son) another man who was in getting his blood drawn.  Terry had a pleasant visit with this man and I was sitting there thinking how pleased I was with their conversation and almost instant friendship. 

Then a man walked out from the lab, over our way, and was tucking his Hickman Line into his shirt.  My heart warmed and my eyes flooded and I almost felt unable to speak.  The cover he had on his lanyard was a cover that BrittanyJo had made.  This man coming toward us, was the person the man sitting down was waiting for.  I couldn't resist sharing with those two men that I had noticed his line cover and that it was our daughter who had made that one, and Terry was wearing one of the same fabric that day.  They were happy to learn it and told us to tell her thank you. 




It was such a tender mercy ..., one of those small and simple things that mean so very much. 

I guess yesterday was a bit of an emotional day for me - almost crying at the lab and then laughing at myself in the halls of the 6th floor (you'll have to read the previous post if this doesn't make sense to you).  Both were fine moments, but the one certainly warmed my heart and made my day.  Thanks BJo!


When Terry received his first line in 2010, they used medical tape wrapped around the lines that they would then clip to the lanyard.  They suggested buying baby socks instead of the tape if we wished, which we tried and it was awful since they kept getting caught in the clip and fuzzies were everywhere. Then the wife of a patient made some of these little envelopes/cases for her husband, and a few extra to share. 
Terry got a couple of those, and we really liked them.  I shared the idea with Ellen because she had asked if there was something she could do to help and I know she is a great seamstress and she made Terry some line covers (thank you Ellen), including some plain white ones so they don't show up under his white shirts.
No one else seems to have the white ones, because the nurses are always commenting on them and how they seem to represent a purity and cleanliness that the others don't.  However, we are told that many of the female patients go for the design and color, even trying to match the outfits they are wearing.

After they put this second line in this year they gave him a couple line covers - no more tape, everyone gets a couple line covers right out of the operating room after receiving a Hickman.  That lady who started this a few years ago could have made some good money if she patented her product, but instead it is kind people serving others that makes everyone so happy around here..., anywhere for that matter.

Terry is still using covers that Ellen made, and new ones that BJo made.  We are grateful!




1 comment:

Louise said...

What a great story, made my day-really!!