Wednesday, November 27, 2013

T4

It's day 4 after transplant day and things are slow, but steady.  Terry has not thrown up today so that is encouraging.  He still has all the other symptoms that I've mentioned before, so I'll not list them again.  They are part of the process and things we are to expect at this point.

We have a couple weeks of slow but steady ahead of us.  We are just going to blood draw and giving IV hydration each day for this week, with the exception of one visit with the nurse Friday.

I went to Safeway today to do some shopping, leaving Terry home resting and receiving his hydration, staying away from the crowds.  It was a nightmare!
I will try to keep this long story short -
I had purchased a $75.00 gift card that wasn't working and I had to take care of that first thing.  It took at least an hour with customer service and phone calls to get that thing straightened out.  I was so frustrated that shopping was kinda difficult, but I pressed forward.
I piled things high in the cart trying to purchase something that Terry might enjoy eating, since he is not really feeling like eating anything right now. 
I finally got thru the check out stand and all the groceries were put into my personal re-usable bags. I ran my credit card and ...,  Oh my goodness!  It was not my day. My VISA card didn't work.  Okay, that was embarrassing, but I've had that happen before, because I have Chase using the same number in Nevada and Connor using the same number in Pennsylvania and it confuses "the computer" and I have to call in to make sure the purchases are authorized.  
I have never had a problem with American Express, so I pulled it out and used it and it wouldn't take it either.  WHAT? 
Wouldn't you know it - my check book was in the cupboard at the apartment because I try to empty my bag so it's not so heavy carrying it to the clinic everyday and I didn't put it back in my bag before heading to town.  Oh Bother! 
I asked them to leave my stuff in the cart and I'd be back.  I went to the car and called both cards and each said that because I confirmed the purchases, they knew it was me, and I would be able to use the card.  I should be happy they are making sure it's me making the purchases, but it is not a happy thing when the card is denied.  NOT AT ALL!
Anyway, I went back in line, waiting again thru the large lines to pay for my groceries. I couldn't believe it, VISA was still not accepted, but luckily the Amex was.  
I think the second problem was the stores equipment though, because it took two swipes to finally make our $30.00 cash card from our Thanksgiving package work, and I called the card again and they said there was no problem and no denied purchase, so it didn't go thru.  NO FUN!

I got back to Terry just as he was turning off his pump because it was complete, so I disconnected his line and put groceries away. 
I had been away 4 hours.  I thought maybe it would take me an hour.  I don't wanna go back! 
I'm not sure that was as short of a story as I thought it might be ..., sorry!  It's one of those days!
  

We thought we'd have the kids come visit for the Thanksgiving weekend, but because of Terry's critical condition for the next couple weeks they tell us to stay away from crowds and from people that are sick ..., visitors are not really a good thing right now.  I understand, and I want to do what is best here and not cause any problems, but I am sorry that they cannot come. 

I am however, grateful for the other family members, friends and neighbors who are taking care of our children.  They will still have a great Thanksgiving, but it will be different than any other we've had before.  I am very happy that we had a Thanksgiving dinner the last weekend we were home.  I'll be holding that thought in my heart tomorrow.


We are grateful for family!  We are grateful for Christ!  We are grateful for life!
We are grateful for tender mercies!

We are grateful ..., ..., ...,

(I am grateful this day is almost over!)  ;)

2 comments:

Ellen said...

I am grateful for both of you.....HAPPY THANKSGIVING

Bonnie said...

Oh what a trying shopping trip! But you persevered! Happy healing Thanksgiving from our corner of the world to yours.