Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving!

This was definitely a unique Thanksgiving for us. 

We started with a somewhat lazy morning, just putting a chicken (instead of a Turkey, because we didn't want so much turkey left over) in the oven and going to blood draw.

There were not very many people in the clinic today - even fewer than Saturdays and Sundays.  That's good!  We hope everyone else was off having a wonderful holiday.

The shuttle didn't run today so we walked both ways today - first time walking both ways since transplant, so we are happy that it was do-able.  We even took the stairs here at the PGH too.  That's good!  Terry is feeling okay.  He is always under the influence of nausea medicine so he is doing better that way, but still spends most of his day resting.

It was a foggy day, so foggy that we couldn't see the Space Needle like we normally can. The air was chilly, but not terrible.  It was really a nice walk and it made us feel good to be outside and strong enough to make the walk both ways.  That's good! 

We see some beautiful blossoms on our walk.  The beauties of nature always make me happy.  And these last few blossoms hanging on this fall are very beautiful.  I'm so glad they were there today. It made us happy.  That's good!



 
This next plant is lovely for fall.  I admire them every time I walk past them.  If I could have put fresh flowers or plants on the table today I would have used some of these.  I need to find out what they are and see if I can grow them at home so I can use them another year, and other years after that.
They are a prettier than this photo shows, and there is another group of them that is larger and quite lovely.


We are happy to be together today, but we miss our family.  Surely we would eventually have a Thanksgiving with just the two of us when all of our children are married and off to their other side of the family, but that will be many years down the road.  This seems a bit early for us.  I guess we are practicing for it so we can be ready when it comes more often. 

We heard a lady in the clinic today talking about their family gathering.  They invite all of his side of the family and all of her side of the family.  We don't know how many children they have, but we did hear that it is a small group when everyone is together.  "It's a nice small group!" is what she said.  Then she expounded - her husband just has his mother and a sister, and she had just her mother and two aunts.  They had more together than we had here this year, but they have fewer than we have with just our children.  I really don't know that kind of life.  Never had it.   And, for me, That's good!


There were many new and different experiences as I prepared the food today. 
- Chicken instead of turkey was the first.
- Preparing the meal in small amounts was really odd.
- I made the smallest amount of Lime Pear Delight I've ever made before (1/4 recipe) and there wasn't enough pear and cream cheese in the blender to make this blender work, so I added the whipping cream to it to whip it in the blender.  I was concerned if it would work, but it did.
- Deciding what to make and if it would be something Terry would be able to eat without getting nauseous was a big concern, especially since there is such a combination of things on the plate.
- Using only 2 sauce pans to cook 5 different foods was challenging, still trying to keep the first things warm by the time the last things got done.
- No pretty bowls ..., (the word pretty didn't even need to be there) ...,  trying to figure out what to serve the food in was interesting.  Disposable is what I have, so that is what I used.
- No décor!  Just the table!
- No rolls because I just couldn't fit it into my hectic Wednesday.
- No pies because I wasn't going to buy a pie (cause they just aren't good tasting to us) and I wasn't able to make one yesterday and the oven was full today until after the chicken was done and then it was just not something we thought we needed to do.  Maybe another day.

Other than that our meal was similar to the traditional Thanksgiving meal we usually have. Here is how it looked.


Not beautiful, but it tasted good and Terry was able to have some of everything.  That's good!  (Well, he did choose to not have the cranberry sauce.)  He was feeling well enough to eat a good meal, and That's good!

All in all ..., it's been a good day!  We hope yours was too! 

Happy Thanksgiving!



No comments: