Thursday, December 26, 2013

Saying Good-bye Again!

This was a busy day.  No appointments, but we filled it with other things.  One was thing that was overdue was cutting Anthony's hair.  I got it done, but it was tricky.  Terry's hair was harder to cut (a few days ago) because it was so thin. Anthony's hair was hard to cut because it was so thick and long.  It took a bit longer than usual.

Our family has all gone home again and we are missing them already.

I'm sneaking a photo in here from the evening of the 24th.  Elsie was so tired and she knew it was time to go home.   We know she enjoyed being here with us, and we enjoyed having her (and her family) here.  She was just at the end of a busy and nap free day.  Those are always hard days for little ones. (I'm not sure why I limited that to little ones - they are kind of hard for any age.)


Saying good-bye is always hard, but we are grateful for every minute together.



Terry didn't have an appointment today and as the day went on we noticed little bits of improvement.  We started a different nausea medication and we think that is working better.  He did a lot of reading this afternoon.  He got a few books for Christmas that will help give him something to do while he is resting and feeling less energetic.

I spent the last half of the day cleaning and doing laundry.  It was easier to do this time because I could use the dishwasher and I didn't have any shopping or shipping or baking to do (like I did the last time the kids left).  I didn't get all the boxes torn down for the recycling box, nor did I get the laundry done yet, but maybe one more day will do it.  I'm washing bedding to get it ready for the next visit.  We're already looking forward to it!

The whole apartment needed a good thorough vacuuming so I moved the tree to the extra bedroom.  I just wasn't ready to completely put it away.  I can still see it, and will be spending some time in that room as I wash bedding and tear down boxes.



We got a call from the nurse this evening, telling us the results of the endoscopy.  There were "erosions" or irritations that were seen and tested and came back positive for GVHD.  Terry does indeed have mild to moderate GVHD.  This necessitates a change in medication, so we've got four more medications to pick up and begin, and he only gets to stop taking one that he is presently taking.  The hardest news is that prednisone is one of the new meds and Terry doesn't really care for that one.

Now, as for news from home ...
The kids got home and began their daily chores only to find that Rose (our horse) had died while they were away.  She was maybe around 25 or 26 years old.  It was a sad thing to find, mostly because of the condition she was in.  It was a shock and disappointment.  I don't think they held a funeral service, but they did have to take care of the burial arrangements on their own.   We have zero pets at the moment.  Maybe we'll have to get a gold fish.  NOT!   No pets for us for awhile, because Terry can't have any.  Some day I'm sure we will get some cattle again when Terry's health allows.  Until then we will enjoy animals from a distance. 


No comments: