Thursday, December 12, 2013

T19

Terry's symptoms haven't changed much, except he hasn't thrown up for a week now, so that is a good improvement to his days.   He still doesn't eat very much, and his taste buds aren't working well enough to make any food taste good to him.  It seems that soups and stews seem to be the most pleasant tasting to him right now.  The nutritionists tell us to go with what works and they give us hints to help make things taste better for him. 

Have you heard of Umami? (We have, but only because they introduced it to us 3 1/2 years ago with the first transplant.)
"There are four tastes that you may be familiar with: sweet, sour, salty and bitter.  Umami is the fifth taste.  Umami is a Japanese word that refers to the savory, brothy, meaty taste and mouth feel of many foods, including some meats, seafood, fruits, vegetables and dairy products. Glutamate, an amino acid, is what gives food umami flavor."

We drove to the clinic today because Terry wasn't feeling strong enough to walk in the cold, the shuttle was doing a grocery run, and the cabs are just not an experience we enjoy right now.

It was a bit tricky getting out of the garage because there were trucks in the alley blocking the way.  We finally made it and got to the clinic in time for the appointment.  The blood draw took less than 30 minutes so we didn't have to pay for parking.  Lucky us! 

We do not know the results on the blood draw today, but we will learn more at tomorrows clinic team visit. 

I feel like I'm rambling on these days that I have nothing very interesting or different to say.  We are just taking it one day at a time ..., and posting even the non-interesting stuff one day at a time.

2 comments:

Tyler said...

Funny how each post feels like a life line to me and the same old thing to you. THANK YOU for all you post. Usually it is the last thing I do each day before going to bed. Some how I rest better knowing how the day went for both of you. Sending lots of love!
The Larson Families :)

Ellen said...

That is so interesting what Sherri said because I feel the same way. Hope taste returns to more normal soon. That must be very yucky. Thank you for the posts and for all you do