Tuesday, December 17, 2013

T24

We had a blood draw and nutrition visit and team visit today, walking to and from the clinic in the chilly air.  We waited over a half hour for blood draw and we waited at least that for the team visit.  I don't know how long we usually wait, but today I felt so rushed with so much to do and needed every bit of time to do it.

We really like the doctor we have now. Remember they trade doctors here.  We have had some doctors that are surely good doctors but not very good with people.  This one, Doctor Radich is very nice and friendly and compassionate and we really like him. He is very much a people person.

Today is the 24th day after transplant.  Things are about the same as yesterday and the day before and the day before and the ..., well, with a few slight changes.

The counts are slightly up today and if they are up again tomorrow they will conclude that engraftment has begun.  I don't know if we will hear from them, but some day we will learn. 

Terry is loosing more than just hair, he is loosing a bit of weight, but we hope that changes soon when he can eat a bit better.  For now he is to graze as much as he can.   He needs to have more fluid, so tomorrow we begin extra hydration.  I suppose instead of 4 hours it will be about 6 hours of hydration.   He ate pretty good today.  He thought that maybe he was tasting his food a bit more than he has the last few days so he hopes it continues to improve.

Bone marrow biopsy is usually the 28th day after transplant, but we didn't want to do it while the kids were here so they changed it for us.  I was hoping for after Christmas, but it's Friday, this Friday, the 20th, which will be T27. 

One delightful thing we heard today was that the clinic will ship packages for us at their prices.  That was the best news of the day because we had a few to ship.  I got things packaged up for Chase and Connor and my dad and sent them on their way.  Awesome!  Now if I could just finish up the rest of the family.  I'm not doing so well that way.

I didn't get the bon bons finished though it wasn't for lack of trying.  I walked a couple blocks down to Bartells Drug Store, but they didn't have any paraffin wax.  The lady suggested I go to Whole Foods just down the street 5 blocks.  Well, I can do that, so I went that direction, only it was not straight down the street nor just 5 blocks, but I made it just to find out that they don't have any either.  I walked a different route back to the apartment, which was a mistake because there was a terrible hill to climb.  It was either steeper than this hill here or it was longer or I was carrying to much or all three.  Good news is that I made it back.  Bad news is that I didn't have any wax.  So, I sent the packages without the bon bons and will send bon bons on their own when I can find the wax.

I got back to the apartment and Terry was sleeping.  He didn't even hear me come in so I decided to do something quiet.  I wasn't going to decorate until I had cleaned house but washing dishes is just too noisy.  I decided to decorate the wreath I purchased yesterday at town.  And that is where I used some of those hankies I ironed Saturday (and posted about HERE).  I promised to tell you more about them and today is the day. It was just an idea I had and I went with it.  I think it turned out nice enough to do again some day.

 
It hangs on our apartment door.  It will be lovely to see as we walk down the hall to the apartment.
 

And then I added a star ornament! (It was a gift ... Thank you to the givers!)  We've had several kind gifts and cards and we are grateful for your kindnesses.  We also thank you for your prayers and your faith. We have so much to be grateful for.



And, here is our tree.



The lights, pine cones, and vines were already on the tree.  To decorate the tree I just stuffed vintage Christmas hankies around the tree and tucked in an elf here and there. I did however, forget to get a tree skirt, but I think I'll just put some gifts around the tree and all will be well.







Those little elves could be distant cousins to the Elf on a Shelf.  They are wishing us all a Merry Christmas!

I still have so much to do, but my To Do list is getting a few things crossed off today. 

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Aw, it's so funto read about your Christmasy creativity, Elaine! Just a tip: Sometimes I call a store to ask if something is in stock before sending someone over to look. But walking is certainly good for us, so walk on if you'd rather. :)